All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2010, 19:16   #1
kaustav

Default N scale scratch-building: Project 7: Container Ship

Well, it's really been a while since I started a thread. It was a crazy busy first quarter of the year and frankly I had very little time for Model Railroading.

Now you all know that my wife shares this hobby of mine with a lot of enthusiasm... and when I actually started planning for a waterfront layout, she was pretty excited about all the ships (and not so much about the trains ) Now once I started building ships and cranes and bridges, she came and told me she wants a BIG ship there in the layout. There was a quite a bit of "negotiation" about the size and finally we settled for 2 ft. We (!) decided to go for a container ship, since it comes with a container crane and quite a bit of small and colorful containers as a PACKAGE...

Now the layout design is changed quite a bit (again... ), and I have started with the new ship. But the best part is "headquarter" is happy about the decision...

Here are some initial pics (not great quality, but these are not that important anyway... ). the skeleton of the ship mainly. Made using cardboards as you can guess...

Notice the four containers on the deck-two 40 ft and two 20ft. That was a small project sometime in January (at work we call that "Pilot project" ). There will be more containers soon.

Ship is 90 scale meter long and nearly 14 scale meter wide. that comes to 56 cm and 8.75 cm respectively. Pretty big when compared to my other vessels. But it fits perfectly with the plan, and i am sure this baby is going to be big and beautiful...

kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 19:39   #2
GWRman

Default Re: N scale scratch-building: Project 7: Container Ship

Looking good Kaustav. It always pays to do what you are told by the boss of the outfit. I find that it is easier to keep the peace that way. Also I have told my boss that I am only doing as I am told, therefore if it goes wrong it's her fault,LOL.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 20:04   #3
kaustav

Ha ha... good one Doug...
Old 31st March 2010, 23:55   #4
RW James

Looking good!

By the way, where do you get plans for ships like this? I've tried everywhere I can think to look, and all I ever find is war ships. I want plans for a small cargo ship (tramp steamer)
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 00:42   #5
JackBlack

Your at it again Kaustav, keep it up!!
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 07:52   #6
kaustav

Thanks Guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Looking good!

By the way, where do you get plans for ships like this? I've tried everywhere I can think to look, and all I ever find is war ships. I want plans for a small cargo ship (tramp steamer)
There are no plans for any of my ship, Rick (or other models for that matter). I study prototypes-quite a few of them before starting a model. Get their dimensions and convert them to 160th scale.For some models I draw a rough plan on paper (like the bascule bridge), but for most of the models I create a a 3d model of the object in my mind and build from that...

For ships, my favorite site is http://www.maritimesales.com/ , In this site, you will get a variety of ships, their photos and vital statistics. Just convert the dimensions to N scale, may be make a rough sketch of the ship and you are ready to go.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:49   #7
RW James

Thanks Kaustav - that's a great site. Cool pirate ship at the bottom.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:20   #8
Made in Italy

I'm the house master and I always do what I want with my wife's permission! ;-))
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:22   #9
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Italy View Post
I'm the house master and I always do what I want with my wife's permission! ;-))
Franco
That's what REAL men do!
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:40   #10
kaustav

OK, Here are more progress shots.

The hull is built. The primary coat of paint is also applied. Don't worry about the color combination, it's gonna change...