All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Archive (Read Only) > Library > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 21st August 2006, 12:48   #1
enjineerbill

Default My method for concrete roads.........

Well Gang, I'm goin nuts not being able to get to my trains until after our move(this coming weekend). So I thought I would share my method for making concrete roads. I'ts a relatively easy process with satisfying results. So put your boots on and lets cement this thing!

First off your gonna need something other than concrete, namely;
1) Your favorite flavour of concrete paint(I use Polyscale)
2) Yellow and White paint pens.
3) A FINE line black Sharpie.
4) Hobby knife.
5) A medium bristle paint brush
6) A lead pencil
7) A scale rule
Testor's Dullcoat
9) Foamcore
10) Assortment of artist chalks
11) small letter stencil

You can purchase Foamcore at just about any craft store. Even Wal-Mart sells it. If you are not familiar with it, it is styrofoam with a layer of paper on both sides. I used a gray colored board, although just about any color will do.
Cut it to the width of the road you want to do. For this I will be doing a two-lane highway.

Using your scale rule, scribe the center of the board to separate the lanes of traffic. Try to cut down about halfway through the thickness of the foamcore.

Now scribe lines crossways for expansion joints. Mine are about 20 scale feet apart. Again, try to scribe about half the thickness of the foamcore.

Now We'll paint the surface with the concrete colored paint. I use it full strength from the bottle, and brush painting gives the surface random coverage that turns out great.

Using your scale rule, place it to one side of the scribed center line so that there is about 1/16th of an inch between the rule and the scribed line. Take your Yellow(or whatever color your lane dividing lines need to be) paint pen and draw down the road using the scale rule as your guide. MAKE SURE THE PAINT IS DRY before you do the second line!!

Mark the lane sides by first making pencil marks for the appropriate width.

And using the scale rule, follow those lines with a white paint pen.

Where my road is cut at the end will be where the tracks cross at grade, so we will need to mark the pavement for this. It is best to do this step now before any weathering takes place so as to blend the whole thing together. First, the stop strip is marked out with white paint pen.

Now using the edge of a letter stencil, mark the familiar criss-cross of an approaching grade crossing.

AFTER this has dried, use the stencil and pencil, to trace the R's on either side of the crossing marks.

Then freehand trace the R's with your white paint pen.

Now for the fun part!! Take some black chalk, and using sandpaper, grind up a small pile. If you like, use some gray and white(small amounts) to lighten and enhance the shade.

Using your semi-stiff paintbrush, start making the tire marks and grime marks that are associated with pavement. In this step sometimes I go down the center of the lane only, or in this case I am marking the contact from tires on the road. Be sure to work it in good to the surface, but remember a little of this step goes a LONG way. Don't over do-it.

Continue this process until you are satisfied with the results. If you think it may be too heavy, don't panic, when the Dullcoat is applied it will lighten up a bit.

Now take your fine line Sharpie and randomly make cracks and asphalt repair marks in the lanes.

Give it a good coat of Dullcoat. And LET IT DRY COMPLETELY.

Next, mix some white, gray, and rust colored chalk to get a pinkish color. and work it over the entire surface using your paintbrush.

Once again, seal it with Dullcoat.

Your finished roads should now look something like this.

For me, I find the results very satisfying. And just as with anything, a little practice helps. Take some time, use some scraps for practice, and I think you might like how good these roads can turn out!!

Have Fun!!!

Johnny