All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Making Model Railroad Diorama's
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 14th December 2010, 16:25   #1
vicnewey

Default River diorama with a floating watermill

Hi guys,

I thought my diorama might be of interest to some of you altho it's not actually part of a railway layout, it is in 00 scale however in order that I can use figures and animals etc. Also of interest will be the way mirrors are carefully placed to make the diorama look much bigger than it really is. The horse & cart are from a plastic 00 scale flatbed cart kit, I added a delicate timber framework to make a style of cart once common in Eastern Europe, some of the figure are railway porters that I adapted to suit whatever they are seen to be doing.

It features a rare model of a boat mill which were once common in Europe but now are all lost except for museum displays. The river is on a flat MDF base covered with a thin layer of builders plaster which is then painted with emulsion in various brown/green colors to simulate a shallow fast flowing river, the resin was poured in thin coats over several days to avoid the risk of cracking and is probably less than 4mm thick in total except in hollows between ripples in the plaster
To make a river look really deep on a flat board just make the centre very dark down the middle and lighter towards the bank, this gives the impression of a deep channel for ships etc. The effect of moving water turbulence in front of the boats and strings of bubbles are done by sprinkling white sugar into the freshly poured clear fibreglass resin which then envelopes it and sets hard and it works really well

I've put some more photo's with more info re the mirrors on a web page here:

www.vicnewey.co.uk/diorama

The bridge is only one sided and all the foliage and everything beyond is a actually a reflection
Trying to achieve some perspective to make it look further away which works well on a photo but not to the naked eye!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
vicnewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:12   #2
Roy Buchanan

Default Re: River diorama with a floating watermill

Very nice indeed. I like the detail and the techniques that you have used.
Roy
Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 23:22   #3
RW James

The effect with the mirror is outstanding - well done!
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 06:17   #4
spyder62

Very nice great modeling for sure
rich
www.rslaserkits.com
spyder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 17:54   #5
Smokestack Lightning

Beautiful work. I love the trees, and the rocks under the water.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 21:54   #6
Made in Italy

Very beautiful, maybe you didn't know that there is an Italian novel titled "Il mulino del Po" by Riccardo Bacchelli in which the story is developed in such a structure and when (many many years ago) Italian TV realised a movie from this novel, the whole scene was very similar to your model.
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 13:32   #7
vicnewey

Thanks for the nice comments guys I appreciate it, lots more modelers have seemingly spotted it on here and posted a link on other forums in the USA so my web page suddenly gets lots of hits.
Any of you in the UK traveling down Somerset way can take a look at the model and lots of others from May 2011 onwards the model will be on display at Bishops Lydeard Mill & museum, Taunton, Somerset. UK, which opens for charities
vicnewey is offline   Reply With Quote