All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Making Model Railroad Diorama's
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 9th November 2008, 11:01   #1
upnick

Default Photo/dioramma/trial box

Hi all,

A while ago i started a project for several reasons, my collection of N scale locos needed a cataloging photographic record so i built a simple box around 18ins X 7 ins with 7 ins high back boards from left over 2x1 and MDF offcuts the track code 55 with a crossing in the centre to allow a point of interest when the loco is put in there.
Simply wired so lights can be shown where appropriate,scrap pieces of cork lined the base the joins taken care of later.
It would be a small dioramma and let me use my range of woodland scenic materials before trying them on the layout, out with the rock molds from them and several castings later they were ready to line the backboards one casting i cut out a tunnel portal for the emerging loco shot Mod Roc plaster cloth covered over any joins in the rocks the odd one left for foliage clusters where it had worked its way in over time.
Next an all over coat of green undercoat on the base, the rocks a waterbased dark grey paint all over getting into all the crevices, once dry the rocks recieved a wash of WS burnt umber pigment,that dried out a dry brush with WS stone/slate grey to pick up the highlights until i was satisfied with the effect, a sprinkling of Talus and groundcover along with the foliage mentioned poked in the crevices with a cocktail stick the odd bush root protruding where it had got hold finished off the rockface, the top still needs a groundcover sprinkling.

With the track a sub road bed of cinders followed by a Buff ballast brought it to life given a wash of very thin black paint it looked the part, next rail weathering again more thin black paint and then a wash of the WS burnt umber pigment ....... it goes on thin and needs a few coats but looks far better than a thick layer of paint anyone using it can build up a nice depth of colour to the rails.

Of course the base needed finishing off now and a combination of WS burnt grass several shades of blended turf gave a good key ........ where the rock met the base small gaps where present if not filled with the turf talus scattered helped and in areas formed rock fall,morefoliage was added to form bushes, an overall fine spray of PVA fixed everything in place.

Some parts still need finishing but that was the basics of a nice project which is both practical for pictures of the locos and a chance to try products before applyng them to the main layout.

Here are a couple of shots featuring a nice pair of Kato Delaware & Hudson PA's i took i will try to get some overall pictures to show the work when possible, the images were cut down in a picture programme not very successfully something in need to work on.

upnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 11:23   #2
frank47

Default Re: Photo/dioramma/trial box

looks great and thanks for the how too.
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 12:37   #3
Howqua
Mod Squad

I like the rockwork.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 20:57   #4
Trucklover

Love the Rocks Nick!! They look AWESOME
Trucklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 21:21   #5
upnick

An overall picture of the box before finishing it off

Old 9th December 2008, 21:33   #6
Trucklover

Thats very Cool Nick.

Great work for such a small little box
Trucklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 21:42   #7
upnick

Thanks Josh i like to mess about a bit with the WS stuff
Old 9th December 2008, 21:52   #8
Howqua
Mod Squad

Nice work Nick.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 05:51   #9
ggp

Very nice Nick...thanks for the how too...I will put you're technique to work when I start on my mountain.

v
ggp is offline   Reply With Quote