All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Making Model Railroad Diorama's
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2008, 15:11   #1
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Talking Abandoned Goods shed diorama

Well, having had the ScaleScenes freebie goods shed file downloadeed on my PC for some time now i decided i might as well make it to practice my skills. I had nowhere to put the building so this morning i decided to build a quick diorama for it (only took an hour).
Here it is. There is the shed, some broken trackwork, a couple of old wheelsets, and to complete it a blown out car.

TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 15:38   #2
Danny

Default Re: Abandoned Goods shed diorama

it looks great Tom
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 17:02   #3
atanisoft

Looks really good. I have that same building downloaded and will be trying it out as well. I picked up a handful of card buildings the last time I went to Modesto CA and want to try assembling one that is a bit cheaper (free vs $3-5 USD). Once I get the process down I will assemble the other ones and see how they fit in with my setup (going to post soon on that to the N scale forum).

Mike
atanisoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 18:32   #4
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Thanks for your comments. Mike, good luck with your building, i've decided to practice after seen Johnteals goodshed and then looking at mine, lol big difference, but i am only 16, hence practicing some more with my cardboard construction techniques. I hope to make all the buildings if and when i make another layout in the future (got to finish my current one first though ).
Old 10th June 2008, 19:34   #5
atanisoft

What sort of structural supports did you use inside the building? On most of the card stock buildings I picked up it recommended using 1/4" by 1/8" balsa to give a little more "glue" room on the inside. I was thinking of using 1/4" square balsa instead.

Mike
atanisoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 19:45   #6
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

errmm, i didn't use any. The thickness of the two layers of card (cereal box card) that are created by the inside and ouside layers was plenty of room to glue it - about 2 mm, so i didn't have to use any. also the fact that the building has an interior suggests that you shouldn't have to use any, or at least for this one. Larger buildings it might be more neccessary. You might want to ask either Johnteal(uses OO-Gauge) or Frank47(uses N-Gauge)
Old 11th June 2008, 00:00   #7
mikelhh

Nice job Tom!

Mike
mikelhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 00:08   #8
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Thank you
Old 11th June 2008, 09:18   #9
frank47

Nice work TC I also have that one on my laptop will get down to making it sometime.

atanisoft: with the scalescene downloads you dont need any extra suport if you use the right size card as stated in their instructions even in N Scale they add carpets pictures and curtains if you want to take it that far.
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote