All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2006, 02:20   #1
john

Default Rocks and waterfall

Morning all.
Here are the pics of my first rocks and waterfall attempt, an ongoing work in progress but very simple. As this is my first one I spend most of my time deciding what to do next.

I will go through how I got this far. Pics below shows foam base and foam blocks glued together with white PVA glue and then covered with 'Plaster Cloth'. I bought a 'Woodland Scenic's LK951 Rock faces kit' which had one 'Rock mould' (excellent) some colour samples and 'Lightweight Hydrocal' (excellent) and some other bits and pieces.

When I ran out of the 'Hydrocal' I used 'cast plaster' (the stuff they put on broken legs) which worked really well when mixed with warm water. I poured the plaster into a plastic drinking cup and stirred until it thickened and then put a little more water in etc until I got it right, and then poured it into the mould. For other areas around the 'ground' I mixed a more runny solution and just poured it out and brushed it on. This worked ecpecially well over the plaster cloth where it still looks like plaster cloth. I have used the Woodlands Scenics plaster cloth and some of the ready made bandage stuff that you make broken leg casts out of. Both are overr ated so I will be looking at an alternative. Perhaps bandage soaked in 'cast plaster'.

It was suggested to stick the rocks to the 'plaster cloth' with more plaster cloth but I found that a plaster mix 'trowelled' on (bit like brick laying) worked better. You can also place the 'rock' on the wall and stick your finger in the plaster mix and run a bead around the rock. #Trick> If you get the rock out of the mould when it is still not quite dry it sort of melts in with a bit of water and the plaster on your finger, or a brush.

To colour the Rocks I made up some water based paint similar to the colours that were in the kit and dabbed on a wash of yellowish then brownish then blackish colours with a sponge. No need to wait for each one to dry.

The ground is scrunched up paper with 'plaster cloth' over the top and again dabbed with the water based paint using the sponge.

The Water and Water Fall had me stumped even though I bought a 'Woodlands Scenics LK95 River/Waterfall kit' which had 'Realistic water' and 'Water effects' in it. I haven't got the 'water effects' doing the right thing but am reasonably happy with the 'Realistic Water'..

I have read heaps about how to do the water fall and rapid effects but it still had me beat until I saw a piece of foam on the table which looked a bit like rushing water so I gave it a go. It is basically thinly sliced foam kept in place with the 'Realistic Water'. I did the same with the 'rapids' bit to simulate moving water. I am reasonably happy with it but will continue to experiment.

The trees are made of wire covered with Selleys no more gaps.

The cost of the 'Woodland Scenics' kits in the US are (each) US$12.95 (AUD$17.00) but in Australia I paid AUD$30.99. This is a bit over the top but it is once off buy as you can make all the stuff in the kits once you know what you want/need. If you know what I mean.

Hope that little lot helps someone.

Cheers
John

john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 02:42   #2
quadk

Default Re: Rocks and waterfall

Looking good John! Great coloring on the rocks.
quadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 05:35   #3
crispycritter

looks great John, The tree also looks good, nice work. Is that the Flying Scotsman I see?
crispycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 08:19   #4
Howqua
Mod Squad

That's the stuff John,you really rock.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 09:44   #5
nalmeida

Great work Jonh
nalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 11:52   #6
Shamus
Administrator

That looks very good indeed John.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 21:12   #7
topcat

It's not the Flying Scotsman Crispy, it's a Great Western King

Tim
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 23:19   #8
wickman

looking good there I think I recognize the castings as woodland scenics

Location Great White North

The Layout http://www.all-model-railroading.co....ead.php?t=2907
wickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 15:06   #9
Shamus
Administrator

For waterfalls in the past both for N-scale and H0 I used glass fibre (Car stuff) and when nearly dry I scribbed a knife down it to represent falling water.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 01:34   #10
john

Thanks Shamus. I noted that and will give it a go during the week.
Thanks for all the other comments as well. I am not sure what the Loco is but I guess it is out of place in this Australian 'up north/pilbara' scene. It will go into our 'museam' area along with other trains that don't go anymore.
Cheers
John
john is offline   Reply With Quote