All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2011, 21:00   #1
colinbry

Default Atlas SD-24 problem

I just bought an Atlas SD-24 loco, fitted the correct decoder & it ran perfectly - on & off for about 2 hours - & then suddenly would not respond to commands. I refitted the decoder, same problem plus the electrical contact got worse & it would not even run.
I am mechanically challenged, so my fiddlings did not seem to help a lot !
I live in Antigua, so the return to Atlas for repair option is not on (shipping,customs duty & taxes), it would be cheaper to buy a new one.
It is not the Digitrax as I have another loco working perfectly.
Anybody got any ideas ? Would be much appreciated.
colinbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 23:21   #2
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Default Re: Atlas SD-24 problem

Does the loco have lights on it ru by the decoder? If it does do those respond? it could be a motor issue - or just something stuck in the gearing. if not, i'd suggest checking that the decoder is getting power from the track.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:50   #3
upnick

Hi
What scale is the loco & which decoder maker /model did you fit as it may be a simple fix if i know which you have used
upnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 11:37   #4
colinbry

Hi Upnick,
It is N gauge, Digitrax decoder, but I have determined that its not a decoder problem as, when I replaced the original lights/directional only board, it had the same problem, electrical contact/motor.
Thanks for your interest.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:53   #5
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

With the otriginal lights board in place, do the lights come on? If not then it is most likely a problem with the brushes used to pick up off the wheels. If they do come on, either the motor has burned out, or its wiring has snapped somewhere.
If its the latter, are you able to get to the motor easily - i would suggest applying dc power directly to the two terminals on the motor. If it is working, then it should spin the wheels (or if the cogs are jammed, the motor will just make a whineing sound).
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:27   #6
colinbry

Thanks TWC,
Only the reversing light comes on, so your comments definitely make sense, I`ll try that.