All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 15th June 2011, 17:43   #11
railworker6500

Default Re: Toggle Switches

Thank You, I am very interested. I have not been able to find a schematic online.
railworker6500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:53   #12
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Here you go:

TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 03:31   #13
BR60103

Quote:
Originally Posted by railworker6500 View Post
Thank you. Would you happen to know what the other device is called?
It just came to me -- a Snap Relay. (I think)
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 05:25   #14
railworker6500

Hey,

I got the parts to build that circuit recently, and put one latch together(with the proper power/enable going to the IC). When i plugged it into the power supply, both lights came on, the motor switched when the switch was pressed, and a couple seconds later, the IC started to smoke. I looked over it many times, and found no mistake. When my Dad came home (electrical engineer) and looked at it, he found no mistakes. He removed the motor from the circuit, replaced the burnt IC, and the lights worked fine, alternated when activated by the switch.

Did you have this experience when you built this circuit?
Did you make any changes when building the circuit?
and What can I do to fix it?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 26th June 2011, 11:26   #15
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

I can see exactly why - my fault. I remembered my circuit wrong (it was several years ago that I last used it). The reason it is not working is power is flowing from the supply through the unused coil and out through the IC.

I have drawn in the power to the motors wrong. What should be happening is the AC supply is rectified, and DC is supplied to the motors. The motors then have a diode across them to prevent inductive kickback. The Atlas motors as far as i have read (like PECO motors) are fine to use DC.

Below is a corrected diagram with some notes of fixes. At the bottom is a little sketch to show how the protection diodes should be attached to the motor.

Apologies for my mistake! *D'oh*
Old 26th June 2011, 16:34   #16
mysterd429

Thanks for posting the diagrams and discussion, Tom, Alex, and David! I'll refer back to this thread when I get to this point in my own build. Please put up a picture of your control panel when it's finished (and in progress, too!)
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 05:41   #17
railworker6500

Hey. Thanks for the update.

It worked. However, with the capacitors i used, I was getting 22.8 volts going into the IC, when it is only made to handle 18. This worked, and didnt burn the IC. Just to be careful though, I added a 15V regulator, and brought it down to a better voltage.

While waiting for the regulators to come, I worked on wiring my track. For now I am going to run on DC. If I decide to cross over to DCC later, I have enough connections to make it smooth.

I am also waiting to get my poly-carbonate sheets for the control panel. Once I receive that, I will finish building 2 of the circuits above to run my 7 switches. What other components are convenient to have on a control panel?

-Alex
Old 8th July 2011, 10:22   #18
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Glad it worked for you . About the high voltage, there are two possibilities, either the power supply is unregulated and has strayed from its nominal, or the multimeter is registering peaks as opposed to RMS - which is the equivalent DC level in terms of power - RMS = PEAK/sqrt(2) = 22v / sqrt(2) = 16v, so i doubt it will damage the IC. Even so, a 15v regulator as you say will make sure things stay at safe levels.