All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th May 2011, 00:18   #1
ricky

Default Missing the Point

Hi All,

Long time since I last posted - great new look to the forum layout.

Just after a bit of advice on 00 points - feel I am doing something wrong or missing something obvious. ( dcc system)

My basic layout uses Peco 240/241 Insulfrog straight points and a pair of 244/245 curved points.

The class 24 deisel loco and a dmu and rolling stock run over the points without problems but my steam locos a 0-6-0 shunter and a 2-6-4 with larger drive wheels seem prone to stopping or even derailing when going slower, particularly over the curvred rails.
The 2-6-4 has pick ups on all 6 wheels so am a bit surprised it looses power so easily.

Is this normal ? - or have I done something wrong ?

thanks
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 03:08   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Missing the Point

Steam locos with solid frames often rise up going through frogs (common crossings in UK) because the flanges are larger than the track maker expected. If there's no springing provided, the one wheels goes up on the plastic and the other two come of the rails. The diesels don't have the problem because there's another bogie that is still flat on the rails.
There may be a problem with pickup from some of the wheels.
Is there an insulator beyond the frog? Then check that there is power going to the point rail -- touch a wire or screwdriver between the point rail and the stock rail.
Is it loss of current or a short? does another loco on the same controller still run?
If it's a short we'll have another batch of suggestions.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote