All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2011, 01:24   #1
thetraindaddy

Default DCC lighting help

I have installed a decoder in one of my locomotives and need some hints or tips on lighting for the head light and for the rear! I have thought about fiber optics but i dont know about doing it any suggestions?
thetraindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 04:36   #2
Roy Buchanan

Default Re: DCC lighting help

Take out the incadescent bulbs and wire in 3mm LEDs. This link has a great guide on how to do the wiring. Just make sure everything fits before you start soldering and heat shrinking.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm

Another good site is: http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC...sity/index.htm

The manufacturer of your decoder might also have installation pictures for your loco. Worth a check.

Good luck and enjoy the new loco.

Roy
Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 04:56   #3
thetraindaddy

its a tsunami sound decoder i already have it installed just having trouble with lighting the headlights!
Old 12th February 2011, 08:27   #4
Roy Buchanan

What is the particular problem? Please explain. All decoders use the same colour wires.

Roy
Old 12th February 2011, 08:40   #5
thetraindaddy

I put the 1.5v tiny lights to it and they blow every time! I know tsunami has a 1.5v spot on the board for using these bulbs but still they burn out! So im looking for a solution to this!
Old 12th February 2011, 19:55   #6
Roy Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraindaddy View Post
I put the 1.5v tiny lights to it and they blow every time! I know tsunami has a 1.5v spot on the board for using these bulbs but still they burn out! So im looking for a solution to this!
The easy solution is to just replace the bulbs with LEDs. The decoder is using 12 volts and the bulbs are 1.5 volts, so they will always blow. I don't know about the ability of Tsunami decoders to handle 1.5 volt bulbs as I automatically replace all bulbs with soft 3mm LEDs. Engines that come equipped with sound decoders alway have LEDs in place of bulbs, so far as I know. This serves more than one purpose. You get a better, more consistent light and you won't be taking the chance of melting plastic and ruining the looks of the engine from the heat of the bulbs.

Roy
Old 12th February 2011, 21:29   #7
thetraindaddy

Ok Im replacing them with LEDs but what can i use to get the light to come threw the headlight openings? The decoders that are made for KATO are the only decoders that come with the LEDs already on the board as far as I have seen!
Old 25th March 2011, 16:37   #8
JohnGymer

Don't forget that you'll need to add resisters for each LED, or the LED will blow, and you may damage the function outputs of the decoder.
Something like a 1k for each LED is ideal if you can fit them in. Fit them on the blue (+ve) wire between the decoder's blue wire and the LED's +ve leg (usually the longer one).
Don't worry about connecting LEDs the wrong way around - they are diodes, which means they only let current through in one direction anyway... but you MUST put the resister in.
JohnGymer is offline   Reply With Quote