All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2008, 13:27   #1
hpept

Default ALCO RS-2 Model Power: does it worth?

I've recently won an auction for this model. I tested it and I'm very unsatisfied with its performance. Start is all but smooth, with a lot of motor humming before it starts to move, and when it starts it's like it was shot from a cannon barrel. Something like... wooosshhh... a bullet. Gearing is very noisy, especially on curves, and the NMRA coupler tends to derail the following wagon on even the minimal imperfection of the track junctions. I tested it on a simple oval, I don't even dare to think to test it over switches and crossings.
This is my question: is this normal? I don't know about Model Power models, since my previous experiences are only with FRATESCHI locomotives (a brasilian product which i consider with an excellent performance/cost ratio) and in comparison, this RS-2 is not even worth being called model, i would better call it toy.
The problem is that I would like to reproduce a RS-3 from Rede Ferroviaria Federal S.A. and I only saw hyper ultra costly models around (remember that we have to import them with a 60% import tax ) so my intention was to modify this RS-2 into an RS-3.
Any thought about this subject will be much appreciated.
hpept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 16:53   #2
Shamus
Administrator

Default Re: ALCO RS-2 Model Power: does it worth?

No its not normal, but Model Power are not the best makes even from NEW. If that were me, I would be back in touch with Ebay and demand my money back.

You would be far better off asking a member on AMR if they have a second hand one for sale (Kato/Atlas) these are brilliant runners nad have dual flywheels.

If that doesn't work, I can get a new one over in the UK and ship it to you.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 21:56   #3
Howqua
Mod Squad

I'm with Shamus on this one, get your money back.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 23:58   #4
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Talking Re: ALCO RS-2 Model Power: does it worth?

If its not as expected you should return it for refund.

Also if you're looking for an RS-3 that isn't uber expensive model junction in the UK sell them and ship abroad. Even with 60% tax it wouldn't uber expensive as it would work out as £56 excluding P&P but including the 60% (remember the web prices include 17.5% UK VAT which is deducted according to their T&Cs for places outside the EU.
ALCO RS-3 which is made by Atlas
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 03:13   #5
LancashireFusilier

Was it new or second hand? You buy from eBay you take your chances and you will, like most things in life, get what you pay for. I have received some excellent items through eBay but nothing for nothing. Good luck with sending it back for a refund.
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 13:10   #6
hpept

It was new in the box. I contacted the seller and he told me that if I'm not satisfied he will give me another one.(I doubt he will refund money). My doubt is that eventually a replcement will not be much better. I opened the loco yesterday and exploded it piece by piece. The reduction box seem ok, well lubricated and smooth turning. The real problem is the motor. It doesn't have flywheels and offers alot of resistance on initial spinning by hand (in comparison my other locos motors spin by hand very smoothly. For what i can see it's a three poles motor, and when it spins it sparks alot (it also seems slightly umbalanced as it vibrates alot at high rpm). I will try to get it replaced, since it won't cost me additional money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancashireFusilier View Post
Was it new or second hand? You buy from eBay you take your chances and you will, like most things in life, get what you pay for. I have received some excellent items through eBay but nothing for nothing. Good luck with sending it back for a refund.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:13   #7
Howqua
Mod Squad

I would send it back and try your luck with another one.
The three pole motor sounds a bit suspect and you may want to replace it with a five pole with a flywheel.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 21:23   #8
tinlizzy56

Sadly with EBay you get what you paid for I have been burned a few times and getting a refund ha I donít think so.
On the subject of the motor I find with most of my new engines it pays to run them in I do four hours one way and then four hours the other way.
Then if I am not satisfied with the performance I install a new motor.
You can invest in a digital voltage tester as sometimes it can be just poor contact with the rails that can cause this problem.
I recently stripped down one of my Bachmann locoís and cleaned it and found the bushes in the motor were worn so I just reverse them then bench tested the unit and hey presto it ran smooth as.
Model trains are like anything mechanical you have to service them to enjoy hours of fun and pleasure.
My motto is if it does not run pull it apart and fix it.
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 14:10   #9
hpept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy56 View Post
Sadly with EBay you get what you paid for I have been burned a few times and getting a refund ha I donít think so.
Yes, sometimes you just get crappy stuff or in worse condition than you expected (I bought 5 budd cars that were really worn out, while the the seller claimed in good condition, but then he allowed me a credit to buy other things and I got a tank car, a caboose and a flat car for free).
This seller has an online shop so I'm not worried of being robbed. He is a serious person, we already exchanged 8 emails about the subject and he is willing to help me to be satisfied, even with a refund if the loco I'm sending him back to check will not present any "objective" just because I didn't like the product.

Quote:
You can invest in a digital voltage tester as sometimes it can be just poor contact with the rails that can cause this problem.
I already tested it, and contacts are ok (the loco is new in the box)

Quote:
My motto is if it does not run pull it apart and fix it.
If the loco was used or old I would not have thought twice to put my hands in it, but since I bought a new item I would like to try the substitution route first.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:56   #10
tinlizzy56

Well if you purchase new you would expect new.
And really thereís no need to strip down a new product as you would expect it to work straight out of the box.
I have purchase heaps of stuff on EBay and sometimes saved big time when you compare the price to the retail outlets.
I do prefer to purchase direct from the Hobby Shop but sadly there range has shrank to point where there is a bigger range on the net.
But with the Hobby Shop you can return the goods the next day and expect a full refund or a replacement for the goods purchased
With EBay I would like to see a new protection policy where if you were shafted you could get a full refund for your purchase.
I am not saying that all the items for sale on EBay are bogus I think itís just the luck of the draw and unfortunately I have had a few bad deals.
But when you look at it model cars I saved big time trees and people for my layout I saved big time compared to the Hobby Shops.
But when it comes to model trains I like to see them first hand and check them out.
The guy in my Hobby Shop always lets me run my unit before I buy.
But anyway I hope you get a new replacement for your unit and all the best and have a nice day
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote