All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Archive (Read Only) > Tips and Tricks
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 16th January 2006, 09:56   #1
Wimpy

Default A cheap place to get good lumber

My friend owns a fence company that installs all types of fencing. In New England one of the most common fences is cedar board fencing. The problem with cedar is that it will change a silver gray if left out in the weather a year or so. It is no good for the fence company when that happens. It seems most people want new looking wood. You can visit you local fence company and buy this distressed lumber cheap, cheap cheap. The most common size is 1"x3"x6' and 1"x4"x6'. Other sizes are 4', 5' and sometimes 8' long pieces. If you don't mine having it look gray, it is a cheap way to get some nice boards for bench work that will not rot. You might have to pick and choose but not more than you do at any lumber store. You might be able to pick-up 2x3x8' and 2x4x8' backing rails also. They also carry shiplap and tongue and groove boards usually cheaper than the lumber stores. They carry #1, #2 and sometimes #3 grade boards. They don't carry clear boards. You want to buy #1 or #2 grade boards.

Wimpy

Wiscasset & Carrabassett Ry.
The biggest, littlest railroad, down east