All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd December 2010, 22:28   #11
kaustav

Default Re: Wrightsville Port: N-Scale Waterfront Layout

Forgot to mention that there is still a small portion left... The run around and the engine house spur... waiting for the merchandise to arrive from America...
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:41   #12
RW James

This is looking really nice. Well done
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 18:57   #13
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
This is looking really nice. Well done
Thanks Rick...
Old 4th December 2010, 19:01   #14
kaustav

Default Uncoupling on a curved mainline at your will!

Yes... that's one of the very exciting part of this project that I have achieved so far. I needed an uncoupling area near the bascule bridge in my plan and it was impossible for me to accommodate a 4 inch straight line without altering the plan to an extent that I don't like it. It took me quite some time and an accidental purchase to find the solution. Here you go:

I bought a starter pack of S.L. Enterprise's totally hidden uncoupler a few days back for a totally different purpose: modeling moving N scale vehicle without spending as much as a Faller car system. Basically it's a set of 4 highly powerful, tiny buttons of rare earth magnets on a protective iron plate. The whole assembly is pretty small: 25mm X 15mm with four magnets placing on four corners to create a small, but powerful uncoupling zone. I did a small experiment and saw that yes, placing these magnets strategically will uncouple the cars and would even let me do delayed uncoupling! Now what about uncoupling at my wish? My ready made solution was to create a simple hand driven lever system to bring the magnets closer to the tracks when required and taking them away when I don't need to uncouple!

Here are some pics:

The small iron handle at the bottom of the picture lets me 'activate' uncoupling when needed and bring it back to the default 'inactive' state when I just need to run a train without uncoupling.

Now look at the placement of the magnets-they are not really symmetrical or parallel to each other. And that is required when you have to uncouple on curved track. Not placing the magents that way will pull both the uncoupling rods in the coupled cars towards one magnet which will not let you uncouple the cars.

To watch the video of how this uncoupler works, please visit my blog. There is a lot more detail about the uncoupling plan as well along with my another experiment of bashing a HOn3 uncoupler for N scale railroad.
Old 4th December 2010, 21:32   #15
mysterd429

That's great progress. Thanks for the info about uncoupling, too!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 20:45   #16
GWRman

Hi Kaustav, you are doing a very good job there and it's nice to see your bridge and ships finally get a home. I will be watching with interest.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 22:06   #17
kaustav

Thanks so much guys... I'm kind of glad that I started building the ships and cranes before actually starting with the layout. It's amazing how lively it looks when I put them on the layout. It becomes real even in it's raw form within seconds!

Doing some new stuff with wiring as well-still in testing phase. Will post more details soon...
Old 9th December 2010, 06:24   #18
spyder62

That is going to be one nice layout. Already looks like a fun one to operated keep us posted
rich
www.rslaserkits.com
spyder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 08:19   #19
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder62 View Post
That is going to be one nice layout. Already looks like a fun one to operated keep us posted
rich
www.rslaserkits.com
Thanks Rich.
Old 9th December 2010, 08:23   #20
kaustav

Well yesterday I received the final shipment from US in this year! A relatively humble package of just a Peco Right hand turnout and a side mounting turnout motor.

Now as I discussed earlier, I added an additional spur to the plan exclusively for Loco parking (And now I am thinking of doubling it up as a stop for the single RDC unit that brings passenger to the port). This was not in the original plan, but I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem to fit it in.

And I was so wrong! It was probably the biggest challenge for me in laying the tracks. I had to spend hours to find the right spot for the turnout because as soon as I include the turnout, it changes the curvature of the rest of the track in that side of the runaround-and it started getting screwed badly. While trying to keep the curve broad, I was getting S curves and if I wanted to remove the S curve, the minimum radius was becoming less than 9 inches! However, after hours of struggle I finally found the right spot that would keep the minimum radius more than 11 inches without any S curves. This incident tells me that for small layout planning is ever more important than in larger layout. When you have large area at your disposal, a few inches, or even a foot might not make much difference, but for a small layout even a centimeter can screw your happiness.

Anyway, this is how it stands now:

I wanted the run around tracks to be parallel to each other, but inclusion of this turnout didn't let me do that. Even the spur is not exactly where I planned it-but hey, I am open to accept changes!

For some fun and testing purpose, I tried running my Life-Like Proto GP-38 on the steep grade of 6.5% in the trestle with two cars. And yes, I am satisfied with the smoothness of the grade. And this little 4 axle wonder delivers some awesome slow speed action even at 6.5 % grade! Have a look:

http://wrightsvilleport.blogspot.com...-complete.html