All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2010, 00:31   #1
RW James

Default Ffarquhar Branch - Part 2

Now that I'm actually laying track, I thought I would start a new thread. The old thread, which was mostly kicking around design ideas can be found here. I was kind of surprised to find that I had started the old thread exactly one year ago today.

Anyway, I have a bit of the mainline laid - between Knapford and Elsbridge, so I thought I would work on the Knapford Station tracks. The station itself will be on one module while the approach tracks are on the adjacent module. This means a fair number of connections bridging the two. I'm using the "brass screw into the plywood subroadbed and track soldered to the top" method. Here are a couple of pictures:

Here's one soldered up:

They haven't been cut yet - I want to get the electrical drops in first - but I've run trains across them and everything seems good so far.

The end of the station tracks meets a small drop-off. Kind of scary, so I've started building buffer stops. Here are the first two:

And here's one doing its job:

What do you think?
They're made of I-beam styrene with a basswood beam and cut tacks for buffers. Of course, they'll look a lot better after they're painted up.

I have quite a few more to make, and I've also started assembling the station - I need to know it's exact placement so I can do the next bit of trackwork.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 03:01   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Ffarquhar Branch - Part 2

Rick: They're quite presentable and will look good after some weathering.
The only quibble I have is that they usually don't have actual buffers on them, just a plain, heavy plank of wood. Ones that have buffers are usually the big hydraulic ones at the ends of terminal stations. (Model versions have springs.)
For your situation, you need good stops. I have a picture somewhere of a set of sidings in a similar position and on 10 tracks there are only about 2 intact stops -- and 8 piles of broken timber.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 06:10   #3
RW James

Yeah - I knew I hadn't seen many with actual buffers - but about 50% of the ones I see on the Thomas videos have buffers, and I kind of like the looks of them. Plus, I plan to use Kadee couplers and I didn't want them slamming against the wood.

But maybe I'll just use them like that at Knapford, because it is a terminal stop, then make plain ones for everywhere else. Plain ones would certainly be easier!

I appreciate the comment.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:12   #4
JackBlack

Good track so far Rick, keep it up!!
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:16   #5
Made in Italy

I'm sure that once weathered they will look very good!
F.
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 00:12   #6
GWRman

Hi rick, I can't remember which thread you were on about the operating of the bridge but I found this footage from Model Rail Scotland and thought you might be interested. Bridge opening start's at 1.15 to 1.58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfk9LfExTE

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 00:45   #7
RW James

Thanks Doug - that was great. I liked the touch of closing the gate before the bridge went up. Didn't even think of that before.
Old 13th March 2010, 14:02   #8
Roy Buchanan

Great video, Doug. Aside from the bridge, that wobbly track coming down out of the moors looked kinda neat.
Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 14:42   #9
GWRman

You are all welcome. Seeing someone elses work can at times give us that idea that we have been searching for, and some food for thought. I was at a loss as to the best arrangement for my station untill I saw what I was looking for on a youtube vid.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 04:20   #10
BR60103

This thread was just posted on another forum.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...0&#entry101459

More detail to incorporate!
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote