All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 26th December 2004, 05:42   #1
beaser

Default Sound alternatives.

i've listened to some of the newer QSI equipped engines but what are the options for realistic diesel or steam operating sound effects on an external unit. I've been able to listen to the MRC unit but it's effects are not tied into the throttle.

Thanks

Bryan B
Old 26th December 2004, 18:11   #2
kobycrk

MRC makes a "synchro sound box" for diesel or steam. As it's name implies, it's synchronized to your throttle. It has 13 different sounds. It can be used with dc or dcc.
Comes with a speaker but if you want to have your neighbors wondering when they laid tracks down your street, connect it up to a stereo speaker
kobycrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 22:24   #3
beaser

I just bought a new subwoofer for the basement "exercise room" sound system (next to the train room). that ought to get their heart started in a hurry.

Does the "syncro sound" offer a reasonably realistic soundf effect. How is it comp[ared to the QSI decoders?
Old 27th December 2004, 02:57   #4
kobycrk

Quote:
I just bought a new subwoofer for the basement "exercise room" sound system (next to the train room). that ought to get their heart started in a hurry.

Does the "syncro sound" offer a reasonably realistic soundf effect. How is it comp[ared to the QSI decoders?
[snapback]10464[/snapback]
I'm new to the hobby and don't have a good basis for comparison, but iv'e got to say it couldn't get more realistic unless you were to park the real thing in your train room. I first hooked mine up to the supplied speaker and it sounded really good, but when I hooked it up to one of my stereo speakers, I thought the friken train was a com'in through the house. It's really cool!!! I bought mine through ebay for $49 but the box it came in has a price tag of $74.98, so I guess the suggested retail price is somewere around there.
kobycrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 17:49   #5
loggeron30

I still have mine in the box but it sounds like it needs to come out now!!!
Ken
loggeron30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 08:28   #6
beaser

I was hanging around George's trains in Toronto and the tech was testing one of the proto GP9's with sound. I was absolutely hooked
Old 29th December 2004, 12:49   #7
Jon Grant

The QSI sounds are excellent, but at present they don't sell the decoders seperately, just pre-fitted into Broadway, Atlas and P2K locos. MRC do do a decoder to fit into locos but it is not that easy to synchronise the diesel exhaust/steam chuff.

My personal favourites (of the seperately installed decoders) are the Soundtraxx decoders for sound quality and ease of use, although the number of different sounds are less than the QSI decoders.

I also have an MRC external sound system - the original one - which sounds great for background noise and crossing gates, but does not synchronise with the speed of the locos. I just use mine for the crossing gate bell.

Jon
Jon Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2004, 20:16   #8
Shamus
Administrator

I use a TechII sound box plus the MRC sound station 312 hooked up to 8 -- 8" speakers around the room, and the sound IS great. I just switch in and out each speaker as the loco gets to it.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote