All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2008, 11:24   #1
DavidB

Default Doodlebug DCC and sound

I have just got an HO Spectrum Doodlebug and found the errata slip about cutting the green wire between pins 3 and 7 on the NMRA socket. However there is no green wire. What does this actually mean?

Any particular recommendations for a decoder? Would something like an NCE 1.25A N12SRP or TCS 1.3A DP2X be suitable, or would I better off with with something like a Digitrax 1.5A DH123PS?

Does anybody do a sound unit for a Doodlebug? I'm hoping some electronics will disguise the inherent coffee grinder sound.

Cheers
David
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 14:22   #2
LancashireFusilier

Default Re: Doodlebug DCC and sound

While I dont have your particular loco I do know that the TCS decoders are far more robust than the digitrax ones and I use them exclusively given they also have their 1 year goof proof warranty. I would suggest them every time.

Regarding the green wire issue, if you have ever hardwired a decoder in yourself before I would look at making sense out of the existing wiring based on basic DCC chip installation principles and explore the avenue of hardwiring a decoder in yourself.

I have literally removed the plug in attachment before and wired up a decoder as if it wasn't DCC ready sometimes with better success.
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 17:21   #3
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

TCS decoders are definately hardy things. Ive installed the same decoder 4 times (in different locos of course), and its still working perfectly, plus ive had to resolder one of the wires onto the decoder, and it works even after that.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 03:13   #4
DavidB

I am aware of the reputations of the various brands. I was thinking more of the power requirements - 1.25A, 1.3A or 1.5A.

Cheers
David
Old 31st August 2008, 05:30   #5
LancashireFusilier

Do you know the stall current of the motor? You could / should measure that then first and that will allow you to determine the better decoder.
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 05:41   #6
DavidB

I don't know the exact stall current, but Spectrum is quite high.

Cheers
David