All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd July 2014, 16:26   #1
MT Hopper

Default Ship Plating

Has anyone tried using masking tape for plating a ships hull in O scale?
I know Troels Kirk did it for his vessel Odin. I have a piece of styrofoam 13.5 inches wide and 100.25 inches long waiting to be plated ( it's a Hog Islander hull). I tried various ship Fora but they mostly do either RC ships and boats or small 1/400, 1/350 resin/plastic ships or wooden sailing vessels so they aren't familiar with a large foam hulled static models challenges.
My concern is putting in the effort only to see the hull plates peel off. Any ideas out there? Anyone want to know about yard and stay boom positions for cargo loading ( tongue in cheek), steam powered cargo winches?

Cheers from La Coeur de l'Amerique du Nord

Will
MT Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 17:36   #2
JohnM

I think you should be OK. I've used masking tape for a number of projects, such as rolled roofing, and have no problems. When used on styrofoam I've used it to stick down loose paper edges as carpenters glue wont and after a couple of years is showing no signs of coming loose.

Hope this helps.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote