All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2009, 01:54   #1
paulsrail

Default St Charles Air line bascule bridge

Hi
I,ve scratch built an OO guage model of this bridge for use in my garage layout which also contains a scratch bilt Colliery.

more pics to follow soon
paulsrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:08   #2
paulsrail

Default Re: St Charles Air line bascule bridge

It all started with a new bathroom built in the loft. The builders left so much timber behind that i decided to build a garden layout in OO. My wife then suggested that due to our weather here in the UK, South Wales , a layout in the garage might be a good idea, so i said ok, if you insist, lol. Over the next few days i will upload photos documenting my progress with The Blue Line Garden Railway, The Coegnant branch of the Blue Line, the Colliery and the Air Line bascule bridge.
Paul
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:30   #3
kaustav

An excellent work there, Paul. This is definitely a great bridge. Lucky for me, I will start building a bascule bridge in next few days, and this will definitely be a great reference. Is this operational-I mean are there any movable joints to actually lift the bridge?

Waiting to see more progress...
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 06:18   #4
RW James

That is a beautiful bridge! From the looks of the pins, I would guess it to be operational. I would love to see it in place and operating.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:32   #5
paulsrail

Thank you for your kind comments. The bridge was built to replace a board which slotted into the gap in the layout by the door into the garage.

The board was difficult to line up accurately, but the new bridge drops down into place every time and the trains run across with no problem. Here are some photos of the construction of the bridge and photos of the real bridge.

The bridge was drawn using autocad and plotted out.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:26   #6
Made in Italy

It's first time I see something similar, would you mind explain me the way it works? I can't realise wich are the moving parts!
Thanks
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:27   #7
paulsrail

The bridge was built using strips of lime which were left over from the first planking of my scratch built model of the Santisima Trinidad. When glued together to form an I beam they are very strong.

And Here are some photos of the bridge in various stages of lifting

Old 22nd September 2009, 19:42   #8
paulsrail

Not shown yet are the operating arms. at the moment the bridge is hand operated. I hope the diagram below shows how the bridge worked.

Its the operating strutts that raise and lower the bridge which is balenced so a relatively small motor (75 Hp) was used
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:02   #9
GWRman

Hi Paul and welcome aboard AMR.
That is a very nice bridge that you have built there and you should feel rightly proud of your work. Will you motorise it as the original 1/1 scale bridge was? How long and high is it?

Just keep it coming and we will watch.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:54   #10
kaustav

excellent!!! This will undoubtedly be the frontal piece of your layout. Thanks for the detailed description and photos (My reference just got stronger ).

By the way, I am eager to know about your layout as well. Could you please start a thread on that?
Thanks
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote