All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2007, 05:26   #1
mike505

Default HO as a Garden Railway

Hello everybody, new person here.

I haven't done anything with model trains in almost 20 years. I still have most of it all and it's HO. My son who is 5 is showing a big interest in trains now and I want to do something with him.

Problem is we don't have the room inside the house. No basement or garage either. We do however have 2.5 wonderful acres just waiting for something to be done. I don't have the money to jump into a bigger size train setup so I would love to be able to setup the HO outside.

I have read somethings that make me wonder just how this would work though. UV protection that the larger scales have that HO doesn't and so on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and helpful. If anybody is wondering about the climate, we live in Florida, USA right around the freeze line.

Thanks,

Mike
mike505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 14:01   #2
SimonC
Mod Squad

Default Re: HO as a Garden Railway

Welcome to AMR mike.
Looking forward to seeing pics of those scale length HO coal trains going round 2.5acres
SimonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 15:55   #3
krokodil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike505 View Post

I haven't done anything with model trains in almost 20 years. I still have most of it all and it's HO. My son who is 5 is showing a big interest in trains now and I want to do something with him.

Problem is we don't have the room inside the house. No basement or garage either. We do however have 2.5 wonderful acres just waiting for something to be done. I don't have the money to jump into a bigger size train setup so I would love to be able to setup the HO outside.

I have read somethings that make me wonder just how this would work though. UV protection that the larger scales have that HO doesn't and so on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and helpful. If anybody is wondering about the climate, we live in Florida, USA right around the freeze line.

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike - welcome to the forum

not only the UV protection wil create some problems but everything like winds, cats, leaves, sand or dust etc. all are in 1:1 size. just your trains are in size 1:87.

It is quite a big job to clean almost weekly the Scale 1 (1:32) size garden layout from those inviders (The LGB is less sensitive from this point of view), I cannot imagine the same procedure for H0. Especially delicate details like switch points, mechanisms etc. are very difficult to keep clean in the big scale, in H0 it will be even worse.

I am sorry not to support your enthusiasm but I run a garden railway in scale 1 for more then 12 years here in middle of Europe and it is not easy to prepare for an operation session.
krokodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 23:01   #4
Howqua
Mod Squad

Welcome to AMR Mike.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 07:23   #5
hartleymartin

You would have to have some sort of cover for the track and would definately have to invest in track cleaning wagons. I saw someone hook up 3 different types of track cleaning wagon between 4 locomotives to achieve clean track. I think the track cleaning train would look inpressive on it's own!

Lots of work involved, but not impossible. You would need to run electrical cables parallel to the track to prevent voltage drop, and the afore-mentioned track covers, but other than that I think it will be possible.
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 08:00   #6
johnteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike505 View Post

Thanks,

Mike
Not wanting to disagree but I have a OO (1:76) garden layout, unlike convential garden layouts it is off the ground some people have called it an outdoor layout rather than garden.

UV. Peco track is Uv resistant in all scales.
Paint buildings with enamel or celulose spray (car spray ) and they will survive.
Track cleaning, true I have to walk round with a track rubber before operating sessions but with 120' of track at waist height it only takes 10 mins.
I run with DCC just make sure you dont leave the controls out and keep the mains voltage indoors.
Only downside is when it rains you cant run cos you get wet !!

pop over to my website for more info

www.rjroriginas.co.uk/rjr_branch_line.htm
johnteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 06:32   #7
mike505

Thanks for all the input and the warm welcome! I'm going to give this a whirl. I think I've figured out how I want to do this. On our screened-in porch I'll do the main "town" area and send track out into the yard to a couple of things like a rock mine and a wooded area for collecting trees(lumber). This would limit the structures outside and hopefully give me some stretching room.

Been doing a lot of reading lately. Things have changed a bunch over the years. This site is a wealth of information. This outdoor HO/OO stuff I'm seeing gives me inspiration.

Now to inventory what I have.

Thanks,

Mike
mike505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 12:46   #8
Superrailer

But i hear the Ho scale locomotives can't run in the rain unlike G scale. Also I hear that G scale is more made to take weather.
Superrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 17:10   #9
johnteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superrailer View Post
But i hear the Ho scale locomotives can't run in the rain unlike G scale. Also I hear that G scale is more made to take weather.

As much as I like my trains I wouldn't want to get wet runninng them anyway !! So its not really a problem. As for made to take the weather, all peco track is weather / UV resistant and as far as the stock goes unless you have a very secure garden I cant imagine you would leave it out unattended for anyone to wander off with.

John
RJR
johnteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 17:38   #10
jeffrey-wimberly

Possible but not practical. You could run the track along a fence rail or the top of a wall. Keeping the track clean would be a nightmare in itself. Also things like insects, leaves, grass and animals can wreak havoc on a small scale outdoor layout.
jeffrey-wimberly is offline   Reply With Quote