All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2007, 21:47   #1
MooUK

Default Vaguely-modular branch line, part 1: goods yard

As you may or may not have read here, I've decided that for a mixture of practical, temporal, financial and logistical reasons (read: I'm a poor final-year student with very little space and a serious need for employment), if I want to start on a model railway layout in the next few years it'll have to be something small and portable. That suggests something N-gauge.

And since what I want to model is British, late pre-nationalisation or just post-nationalisation, probably LMS (due to my love for Stanier/Fairburn 2-6-4Ts, and also due to what's available RTR), it makes sense to me to start with a small part of a branch line. Then I can later add more to it in the form of separate modules.

If I want the first module to be any use for actually running anything on, it needs to have a purpose. So, after much fiddling with Xtrakcad, generally failing to make something compact I was content with, I give you a small goods yard and tiny local station. The board there is 400mm by 800mm (about 32" by 16"), and the main track leaving the board is centred 50mm from the bottom edge.
MooUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 22:40   #2
B-17_Fortress

Default Re: Vaguely-modular branch line, part 1: goods yard

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Looks interesting, but I would consider straightening some of the sidings a little for a more scale like appearance. Loading platforms can be made closer to the track the more straight it is so reducing the gap to a more scale look when trucks are in the sidings.

You might also want to reduce the length of the passing loop beside the station so that one of the branch line lead-ins can be longer to allow a loco and a couple of trucks to move from the branch to the arrival line. In the plan, both ends only look 100mm long.

Once you start building, post a few pics in the N scale forum.

Steve
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 12:29   #3
MooUK

Trouble is, if I make the loop any shorter it really does become too short. However...

I tried simply moving one end of the loop to the edge of the board, which lets me keep the loop the same, and still doubles the length of the remaining branchline section on the right. This also gave me more space to straighten the sidings and to even add a runaround within the yard area. Results here.

Of course, it costs slightly more money in the form of two more sets of points, but hey, you can't win everything.
Old 21st April 2007, 15:21   #4
B-17_Fortress

Yes, I like that. You better get straight out to the model shop and start spending!!!

Steve
Old 21st April 2007, 15:46   #5
MooUK

That's not likely to happen for at least another month - my last exam is in exactly one month time - but since when did that mean I can't plan ahead (otherwise known as procrastinating instead of getting revision/work/whatever done )?

Y'never know, though. I might start on part of it before that.
Old 21st April 2007, 23:30   #6
MooUK

After some thought, I'm not sure that the yard lead is going to be long enough past that second set of points for the loop. How many WW2-era wagons, plus one Jinty, can I fit in 180mm? Probably not enough. (26 scale metres, 87 scale feet)
Old 21st April 2007, 23:38   #7
B-17_Fortress

I haven't got any N scale UK stock to measure, but I think you're looking at about 60mm to 80mm for a loco, and about 40mm for a 7 plank wagon.

I'm sure someone else here has stock they can measure.

Steve
Old 21st April 2007, 23:59   #8
MooUK

Hmm. That might make it the loco plus three wagons, which isn't awful.

Changing the lead to a double curve and a normal straight makes it half as long again. (And since I'll be making most of it in flexible track, probably, rather than settrack due to the lengths in places, it can be straightened as much as it allows...

Hmm. I think it'll be fine just extended as far as I can.
Old 22nd April 2007, 23:26   #9
MooUK

And now, having thought more, I'm still not happy.

This means I'm going to spend more time thinking about it when I should be revising or working or something.

Argh.
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:19   #10
B-17_Fortress

Could you increase the baseboard size slightly to give you a little more track space?