All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2011, 00:46   #1
kaustav

Default Help: Peco turn out motor stuck at one side

I just installed 10 under the table and 2 table-top PECO turnout motors. 3 of the under-the-table and 1 of the table-top ones are moving only to one side.
when i try to throw the switch, i can see that the turnout initiates a momentary movement and returns back to the original position.
I checked for loose connections but it seems there is none.
Can anyone please help with this problem? I'm going nuts!

thanks in advance,
Kaustav
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 03:12   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Help: Peco turn out motor stuck at one side

I have a couple of similar problems. One end of a crossover only moves to curved if I push the points over while giving it juice.
Lots of possible problems. Motor too far to one side. Motor skewed so that it's only aligned at one end. Wiring error -- one end not getting proper power.
I've had problems where the motor is screwed down too tightly.
Are you fastening them directly to the turnout or using Peco's little mounting blocks? The on-the-table mounts may have an extra centering spring in them that is too much for the motor.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 08:04   #3
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR60103 View Post
I have a couple of similar problems. One end of a crossover only moves to curved if I push the points over while giving it juice.
Lots of possible problems. Motor too far to one side. Motor skewed so that it's only aligned at one end. Wiring error -- one end not getting proper power.
I've had problems where the motor is screwed down too tightly.
Are you fastening them directly to the turnout or using Peco's little mounting blocks? The on-the-table mounts may have an extra centering spring in them that is too much for the motor.
Thanks David. Well all the under the table ones are mounted directly to the turnout - no mounting blocks. Same for side mounted machines. I would rule out machine not getting proper power because all the wiring have solid soldering and I use CDU with stud and probe that makes great electrical contacts and delivers a burst of momentary power.

What about peco turnout springs? can they create problem. I did find that the ones with the problem are a little tighter in terms of movement than the others? If so, then how it can be rectified?
Old 13th May 2011, 09:29   #4
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

You might want to try moving the motor slightly. Even if they are attached to the bottom of the point they may not be aligned. If you try and gently twist the motor one way or another, it may help.
Other than that, you could try a little bit of lubrication on the spring, then move the point back and forth to try and loosen it up.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:50   #5
EdUSA

I know nothing specifically about PECO - but I'd check out two things. 1) if the motors are disconnected from the turn-outs, do they work properly? and 2) check for friction on the turn-outs that do not work right.
I try to trouble-shoot each of those things before I make a final mounting.
Good Luck!!
EdUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 21:00   #6
kaustav

The motors are very nicely mounted. Since I mounted the motors directly with the turnouts, there is actually a very little chance that they are not properly connected. As for friction in the turnout - yes, that might be a possibility. Since Peco turnouts are spring loaded, some of them are tighter than the others - but not sure how to fix this. I am afraid to fiddle with the turnout springs as they are very much essential to keep tight contacts with the power feeding rails they touch, and a loose spring can harm the movement of the trains...
Old 13th May 2011, 21:16   #7
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

I guess I would try lubricating the spring and where the throwbar passes under the rails. Then move the point back and forth to try and loosen it up. Alternatively you could try powering the CDU with an higher voltage to get a bit more umph into the coil.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 21:27   #8
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
I guess I would try lubricating the spring and where the throwbar passes under the rails. Then move the point back and forth to try and loosen it up. Alternatively you could try powering the CDU with an higher voltage to get a bit more umph into the coil.
hmmm... that sounds interesting... what should be the max voltage to be used with a Peco CDU with a decent factor of safety in consideration? I don't want to lose it since it's not really cheap and will cause me a lot of pain to buy another one... I am currently using 16V AC.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:08   #9
B-17_Fortress

Did you use the little metal tabs bent over to hold the motor to the bottom of the point? I've found that if you bend them over too far, they can bend the plastic mount on the point and cause extra friction. I usually only bend them to about 45 degrees, checking the point by hand that it is still free as I go. I have had tight springs before on Peco points, and the way I fixed it was to apply a soldering iron to the tip of the spring wire to heat it. The compression in the spring forces the hot wire to melt through its mount, relieving pressure; BUT, you need to use the tip of a screwdriver pressed against the tip of the wire to stop it from melting too far. Not sure if that description makes sense! Check the motors disconnected from the point first.

I've also had a failure of one side of the coil, resulting in the motor only being able to drive the point in one direction.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 00:57   #10
kaustav

Thanks Steve...

The tabs are also not bent too much... Some might be well below 45 degrees as well since I was a little afraid that bending those too much might cause harm to the turnouts. I have bent them just the amount needed to hold them against the turnout firmly.

I think I got the method of applying heat to the spring wire part - but again I am a little afraid I might ruin it... got to gather some courage to do it... I think I need to check the motors first by taking them off.

I think my aproach of laying track first and then adding the motors was not really a great idea - uh! it sucks!