All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2012, 05:18   #1
kaustav

Default Interview with Joe Warren

Well, if you don't know Joe, he is the founder-owner of Showcase Miniatures (well, I remember Showcase Miniatures specificlly as the only manufacturer who produces commercially available N scale motor cycle, that I know of!). Mouli and I recently had an opportunity to be inerviewed by him, you can find the interview here: http://nlayout.blogspot.in/

Also, this particular blog is the online directory of all N scale layouts having presence on the web - a MUST for every N scale lover. I am sure many of you you might already added that to your favorites, but if you haven't, please do - highly recommended. There will be many more interviews coming and this will soon become a hotspot for N scalers...

Thanks Joe, for the opportunity and the exposure.
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 18:38   #2
mysterd429

Default Re: Interview with Joe Warren

I just finished reading the interview. Congratulations! I was thinking about one of Joe's question to you:

Quote:
In the USA, model railroading is often perceived as childish by those not into the hobby. Culturally, the hobby is not well accepted in the USA as an adult hobby. As a result of this perception, many model railroaders don’t discuss their hobby with friends that are not into the hobby themselves.
How do your friends in India respond to your interest in Model Railroading?
I recently told several coworkers that I'm the only model railroader I know who is older than 15 and younger than 50. I think among the older folks here in the states, it's more accepted, because they grew up with it. A lot of people I talk in the "16-49" age bracket show curiosity about the hobby, but I think in the sort of way that is usually reserved for street performers and other odd sorts Most don't really understand even after it's explained, and like you said, are often surprised by it when they actually see it.

Congrats again!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 18:56   #3
RW James

I enjoyed reading the interview - thanks for sharing it. I hope someday youc an build the DHR - I would love to see it!
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 18:37   #4
mysterd429

I shared the interview with my wife yesterday, and she also enjoyed it. "They are very talented!" That's what she said! We also started going through your blog, and she liked a lot of the detailing you've done, including that neon sign!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:04   #5
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
I enjoyed reading the interview - thanks for sharing it. I hope someday youc an build the DHR - I would love to see it!
Thanks so much Rick. Yes, I would love to start that DHR project too - but it is going to be a real tough one. My main concern is not the rolling stock or the scenery or building - I can build those, my main concern is miniature figures! I need figures with both 'typical indian features' as well as 'north-east indian features'. They are very specific in terms of dress, shape and skin tone - but both can be seen in Darjeeling. Let's see what I can find by the time Wrightsville Port is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterd429 View Post
I shared the interview with my wife yesterday, and she also enjoyed it. "They are very talented!" That's what she said! We also started going through your blog, and she liked a lot of the detailing you've done, including that neon sign!
Thank you so much Don... and tell your wife a BIG thank you on bahalf of us... really glad that she liked it...

Before this interview, we both were under the impression that this hobby is very popular in America an Europe - given the level of activity we see in various forums and blogs. I never thought you guys would have similar concerns and challenges as ours! In fact except a handful of Indian, everybody we know in Model Railroad community are either from US or from UK and Europe, so it is very strange that the '16-49 age group' that you are talking about see this from such a different (and to be honest what I feel as wrong) perspective. This hobby is the most creative one anybody can have - requirig skills ranging from carpentry, electrical, modern electronics devices and at times good computer programming knowledge, sculpture, painting... and many more... may be this group is more interested in 'short-cuts' and 'quick fun' and this hobby is way out of league for them!
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote