All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2011, 23:05   #1
chrishig

Post New Layout new plan

Hi there i have decided to start a new project, this is going to be a european layout based around cologne in germany, basing the layout here will allow me to run not only german trains but swiss and french traffic, and with a little artistic licence my newly acquired Eurostar set

this is the plan so far, any comments, ideas, suggestions or redesigns more than welcome
chrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 19:05   #2
mysterd429

Default Re: New Layout new plan

Hi, Chris. That looks like a fun layout to operate, with a balance of model railfanning and switching depending on your mood. Continuing the two-track main from A to the fiddle yard and then out to B would let you run continuously in both directions without any switching, if that's something you'd want to do.
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 20:04   #3
Made in Italy

As Don said it has a lot of potential, I suppose that the branch line overpasses the loop, doesn't it?
Remember that in Germany trains run on the right!
Waiting for future developments!
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 22:08   #4
GWRman

I agree with Don. That was also my first thought when I looked at your design. Double track all the way would make so much sense, otherwise I can see bottlenecks coming on. Other than that I like the design, it looks really good.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 23:34   #5
chrishig

hi,
i've been trying to incorperate double tracks in to those areas but i keep running in to 2 problems:

- no more room or
- radius too tight (192mm at tightest!!)

i know that fleischmann stock is designed to go round that tight a radius as that is there minimum radius on there track, but it won't look that good and i don't know if other suppliers stock will accommodate this radius

there probably is a simple solution, but seen as i've been stareing at this for weeks, it eludes me!

chris
chrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 19:38   #6
mysterd429

I think if you were to take the whole fiddle yard and run up to B and rotate it counter-clockwise a few degrees, you'd probably expand the radius of that curve between A and the fiddle yard enough. I made a very rough modification to your plan and attached it. If you have a little more room to push the terminus of the branch line down, you can expand that S-curve that leads through B.

Attachment 2598
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote