All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Photographic Competitions.
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2008, 06:38   #11
NPnAK

Default Re: Sugestions Photo Compititions

Accident or derailment clean up.
NPnAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 23:16   #12
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Random objects, i.e. things that shouldn't be somewhere, but are: e.g. a boat in a tree, or a bicycle in a lake, etc.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 01:19   #13
KY Blue

Talking Re: Sugestions Photo Compititions

How about a photo of the great layout you have yet to build?
KY Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 02:59   #14
SpaceMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Blue View Post
How about a photo of the great layout you have yet to build?
It's a legend in my own mind.
SpaceMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 03:57   #15
BR60103

I suggested this elsewhere: vacation pictures. Railroad shots taken on your vacation. Your LPP going off on /enjoying their vacation.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 06:51   #16
frank47

Lots of good sugestions coming I will try and use most of them over time next month I will opt for B-17 Fortress Emerging or vanishing into a tunnel
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 18:17   #17
Selector

I suggested this on another forum, and just happen to have placed myself in a position to enter the challenge...show us the last structure you completed, whether kit, bashed, or scratched. If it was 10 years ago or just prior to the close of the competition, show us the last model...in its appropriate milieu on your layout.

Bridges are always popular.

Small trains on an industrial siding or track...rougher track, of course.

Work trains...or what we call MOW (Maintenance of Way) trains with crews hard at it somewhere along your trackage.

Trees...anyone try their hand at making a credible tree? Or, along the same lines, show us your "forested" places.

Weathering? Part of the bid for realism is accepting that you must dirty up your rolling stock and engines, even if just a wee bit. I know, it hurts, but it doesn't have to ruin a model. If done correctly, it is safe, and it makes your eye-candy even sweeter. Practise on throw-away older stuff with washes and a dry-brush technique.

Have you detailed an engine or a piece of rolling stock? Added piping or appliances, maybe kit-bashed a better cab for a steamer? I would have to sit this one out...it's way beyond me.

Water courses and lakes, even littorals. Almost every layout has a ditch and a culvert, if not a stream or pond or lake.

Turnouts (switches). Have you made any of your own, or modified a commercial one significantly? Are they weathered, along with the rest of your tracks?

Here's a new one, maybe...show us a video of your layout. Note that I don't mean about your layout, but a video showing some action on your layout. We can do a video tour of layouts as well, but that would be another theme. No more than a minute long.

I hope these will help to populate the list for those contemplating what the next year of challenges should comprise in the way of themes.

-Crandell
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 22:46   #18
Howqua
Mod Squad

Thanks for the input Crandell.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 00:44   #19
JohnM

How about Downtown. Or even your mess ups. (People can learn a lot from this.) What about two sections of the same catagory? e.g. Advanced and beginner, or movie and still. Crossover period (steam running on modern scenery). Last time I was in England I was going to visit a buddy and the station porter told me that a steamer should have gone through the previous week but the track wasn't safe enough for it, which made me feel so much better about BR. A bit of whimsy, the Christmas Tree layout, Easter bunny(gondolas loaded with eggs), Halloween(spooks in the tunnel) (does it all have to be dead serious.) Pick one piece thats been weathered, either building or rolling stock. (ok we're back into serious).
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:20   #20
Pettson

Double headers, loading/unloading, engine maintenance, maintenance-of-way...?

Pettson
Pettson is offline   Reply With Quote