All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 24th October 2010, 17:51   #1
Polarbear

Default Real springs

I was looking at a piece of rolling stock the other day and remembered that it had real springs on the trucks. Does anyone know who made these pieces. If need be I can get a picture.
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 01:13   #2
RW James

Default Re: Real springs

I have some old Central Valley trucks that have real springs. Not sure if that's what you mean.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 03:36   #3
BR60103

A lot of manufacturers used real springs. A quick troll through my memory gives, as well as CV, Athearn and Kadee.
Sprung trucks usually had one problem: the springs were so strong that normal car weight didn't do anything to them; they might as well have been solid.
My first Athearn trucks had a variation: rubber blocks to fill the space. These had a B shape when seen from above and the bumps were supposed to look like springs. As well as being next to solid, they were impossible to put in.
Trucks in the 50s and 60s that weren't absolutely solid were labelled "sprung" and/or "equalized". Equalized meant (I think) that the side frame could move about the bolster. One way of doing this was on trucks where the bolster was bolted to the sideframes -- the screw was not fully tightened on one or both sides. If you weren't careful picking the car up, the wheels would fall out.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 07:22   #4
Made in Italy

Rivarossi too, made its US style models with real springs bogies until mid'70s or so.
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 15:37   #5
LoudMusic

We have cars with sprung trucks at the club and I've heard many of the members complain about their reliability, though I'm not sure what the exact issue is. I think there's probably too much freedom of movement in such a small space to reliably roll through a series of turnouts.

Other than novelty I don't see much value in it anyway.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote