All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Photography and Model Railroading
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th September 2006, 22:48   #1
Qube
Administrator

Arrow How to host and post images quickly

Hosting Images - Quick and Easy

In the main menu located at the top of the screen you'll see a link called "Image Hosting". To host images on AMR simply click this and select "Upload an Image" from the drop down menu.

Click the "Browse" button and choose which image from your hard drive you wish to host on AMR. Use the other boxes if you wish to upload multiple files.

Just like imageshack and photobucket

Posting pictures - Quick and Easy

Using images from your hard drive

When you create a new thread or reply to a post and you wish to show images, then here's the easiest way.

If the image is on your hard drive then click on "Quick Upload" located in the panel underneath the smilies panel.

A window will pop-up, click on "browse" and choose the image located on your hard drive, then click "Host it" - The file will be uploaded to "Image Hosting" and be stored in your own personal folder automatically.

When the image has successfully uploaded from your hard drive, the forum will automatically insert a link into your post.

Using images already uploaded via "Image Hosting"

When you create a new thread or reply to a post and you wish to show images, then here's the easiest way.

If the image has already been uploaded via the "Image Hosting" link then click on "Open" located in the panel underneath the smilies panel.

This will open a pop-up window showing thumbnails of the images you have uploaded to AMR via the "Image Hosting" link.

Simply click on the image you wish to insert into your post and the forum will automatically insert the correct details directly into your post.
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 18:08   #2
desertdrover

Default Re: New forum - How to host and post images quickly

Qube;

Could you please explain to me, when I post a jpeg photo, whether it be 640x380 or 1024x608 it shows up on AMR the same size. Much smaller than the photos others post on this site. I can't seem to get my photos as large as others can do. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. What is it? Thanks in advance for any info.

Louis
desertdrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 18:34   #3
Shamus
Administrator

Louis,

Some other photographs posted on AMR come from members own websites so they will show up full size. if you click on your photo it will take you to the full size photo, but will not stay full size once that window is closed. Like this one below, just click on it.
The one below came from my own website so its bigger.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 20:20   #4
Qube
Administrator

If you upload to "image hosting" before creating your post then click on Image Hosting > My Images and the image you want to show full sized, copy and paste the text in the box next to "BB Code IMG"

-----

If instead, you are using "quick upload" when creating a post then by default it'll create a thumbnail thats clickable to show the full sized image (as shamus said)

If you want quick upload to show the full version of your image and not have a clickable thumb nail, then here's a quick guide

After using quick upload it'll show some forum code like this.

HTML Code:
[url=http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=391][img]http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/thum_1019453fb6eba3a33.jpg[/img][/url]
Take away everying before and after the IMG tags.

HTML Code:
[img]http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/thum_1019453fb6eba3a33.jpg[/img]
Then finally take out the word thum_

HTML Code:
[img]http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/1019453fb6eba3a33.jpg[/img]
It'll then show your full sized image without the clickable thumb nails.
Old 25th October 2006, 23:38   #5
desertdrover

Shamus &
Qube

I thank you both, Shamus, I didn't realize that by clicking on the photo it enlarged it, as I've since tried it on my photo posted, and noticed it did. And Qube, thanks for in indepth example, it could come in handy. Although, it seems better for space, to leave it as is, and just click on it if needed. Thanks guys, your making my life on AMR more enjoyable every day.
Louis
desertdrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 20:15   #6
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
Louis,

Some other photographs posted on AMR come from members own websites so they will show up full size. if you click on your photo it will take you to the full size photo, but will not stay full size once that window is closed. Like this one below, just click on it.
The one below came from my own website so its bigger.

Shamus

How do you manage to post pictures with that high resolution?
Its really marvellous.

When I posted my pics, I had to try many times (file too big) until at last I chose a resolution of 600 dpi. But the pics look very rough and fine details dissolve.
Could anyone give me a hint?
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 20:54   #7
Shamus
Administrator

Hi Woody,
First of all, my camera is a Canon 350D Rebel and I always take the highest possible settings and an aperture of f11 on aperture priority. ( 2 to 5 second exposures for good D.O.F.) Now because I also have my own website to host these photo's, I don't need to upload them to AMR first.

Hope this helps.

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 03:34   #8
Qube
Administrator

Hi Woody

AMR allows a maximum of 256kb per image to be uploaded and hosted on the AMR server.

As a reference the largest image shown in this thread by Shamus is only 130kb.

When saving images for use on the internet forget about DPI and concentrate on the width and height in pixels, plus the jpeg quality of the image.

If you're unsure about how to set a decent jpeg quality when saving an image, then let me know which photo editing software you use and also email me an image you're having trouble with and I'll write a quick guide on how to get that image into AMR
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:17   #9
Trucklover

What about using the "insert image" icon in the tool bar when you post? Its the icon with a yellow backround and a picture of a mountain. I tried to post some pics in my HO Scale Photo Diorama Thread and when i clicked on submit reply, it told me that my post had to be approved by a moderator first before it would appear in the thread. Is this just a one time thing or is it going to be like that everytime i try and post using the "insert image" icon?

I use this icon on all the other forums i belong to, its quick, easy, and im used to it, plus all the pictures i use are located in my photobucket album and are NOT saved on my computer....
Trucklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:56   #10
Howqua
Mod Squad

Josh,it's only because your post count is low you will be able to do it when you have posted more.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote