All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 16th December 2010, 19:21   #1
B-17_Fortress

Default "Conor's Run" - 1943, Somewhere in England

For the first time in around three years, I'm heading towards another layout build. This time, it's a bit different to my usual builds. It's for a customer, not me; it's set in England instead of the US; and it's BIG! Approximately 15ft x 11ft in ten sections.

As you can see from the title, the layout is set during World War Two. Like my previous layouts, it will have some military content, in addition to the more usual things you find on a UK railway.

The build isn't due to start until Feb/March next year, but in the mean time, Rob ( the customer ) and myself have been shooting emails back and forth bouncing ideas off each other for the track plan and ideas for scenes on the railway.

There's going to be a lot going on, but with a layout this big, there is space for it without looking crowded. There are also going to be some features that are new to me, and will be a challenge to build and make work correctly, but I'm really looking forwards to getting started as there are a number of interesting modelling opportunities for scenes around the layout.

I don't want to give too much away just yet, but over the coming weeks, I'll post a few more images, ideas and parts of the track plan. For now, I've made a slideshow to give a feel for what you might expect to see over the next year.

Click on the picture to see the video.

B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 21:51   #2
GWRman

Default Re: "Conor's Run" - 1943, Somewhere in England

Really looking forward to this one starting. Knowing your previous layouts this one will be a winner.

Doug
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 00:39   #3
B-17_Fortress

I'm really looking forwards to it too!
Old 18th December 2010, 09:36   #4
kaustav

Ah! at last you are back Steve... After Kingman, we really started missing you... Welcome back...

I am eagerly looking forward to your start. That's a decent real estate for N scale. This will be a British layout alright, but will it be in British N scale or standard international N scale?

WWII is one of my favorite subjects too, and I am sure I will enjoy this very much... Given your legacy of building wartime layouts, I am really, really excited...

The slide show is really great!

Oh! One more thing, though I don't know anything about the plan, seeing your previous works, I am sure there will be a pretty big British Air Base in your layout! I just hope this time you are not planning for flying N scale planes to give us complex... (But wouldn't we all love that... )

Time to add this thread to my favorites now...
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 11:22   #5
B-17_Fortress

There will be an airbase on the layout, or at least part of one, but it will actually be American. This has been dictated by one of the other interesting features that will be added to the layout. More about that later! There will however be a British Lancaster which has force landed at the base, unable to make it back to its own Lincolnshire base. We're planning a few other interesting scenes on the base too. With it being a large static area ( trains in tunnels below airfield ), we're looking at other things to bring the area to life.

The current plan is about 120 square feet of surface area, although we have had discussions about adding another two sections to lengthen the layout. We are looking for ideas as to how these sections could be used, so I'll open the question up to the readers here. With a railway set in wartime, what scenes and features would you add?

The trackwork is also split over four different levels, although the main runs occupy just two.
Old 18th December 2010, 16:48   #6
RW James

Steve - I am also looking forward to this project.

But now you've inspired me to move ahead on another project. My mom gave me my dad's photo album which includes some photos around his base in England when he was stationed there during WWII. He was in the 8th Air Force. I need to scan them - and if I see something you might find interesting, I'll go ahead and post them.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 17:03   #7
B-17_Fortress

That would be great. Do you know which Group he was with?
Old 18th December 2010, 17:38   #8
Smokestack Lightning

I have been admiring some of your previous work. The smelting plant is awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 01:32   #9
B-17_Fortress

After a number of further emails, the layout has had a redesign. 10 baseboards was a big layout, so it has now been reworked to better fit the space available. It is now 17 baseboards!

I also has a trip out for the day to the local Beamish museum. This open air museum is a complete town, railway, tramway, farm, mine and more, set in the early 1900's. Since so much of the architecture and features lasted into WW2, it was an excellent research opportunity for building styles, colours and the general feel of the period. I came back with around 300 photos, some of which I'll post in the next few days.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:22   #10
Smokestack Lightning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_COXZmCvMc
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote