All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 7th June 2009, 23:31   #11
GWRman

Default Re: Coal Mine Railway - Imaginary B&O branchline

Hi Tom, it's all looking a bit BLUE at the moment but coming together nicely I trust. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 04:07   #12
JackBlack

Hi Tom,
You can sought of see it coming together with the terrain and turntable hole and so on. Ican't wait for futher construction.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 08:12   #13
Howqua
Mod Squad

Looks like a great start Tom,could you shrink the shots a little so they are easier to see please?
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 10:33   #14
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Thnks for the comments. Yes, i can shrink the pics no problem.

Todays progress will be to smooth out the rough areas of the foam with a hot wire cutter. I'm going to pop into school for a few hours this afternoon, and while I'm there I'll ask the science lab technician if I can have 50cm of Nichrome wire to make an hot wire cutter.

EDIT: Images below are now smaller. To view them full size, just click on them.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:55   #15
Howqua
Mod Squad

Thanks for the photo shrink tom.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 19:50   #16
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Well, I've managed to flatten and tidy up the foam where it has been cut. I need to pop down to Homebase to get some self expanding foam to fill in some areas, and also to build up a huge area at the back. The upper yard is currently on a gently (for my layouts at least) sloping gradient which will cause trucks to roll off when there is no engine attached - not something i want. So what I've do is worked out a new profile for that top section in which it is flat, and then a sharp gradient at the end (no sharper than the rest of the layouts gradient).
The problem with dthat sectionarose when i realised i needed to raise the turntable to allow the tracks below to clear it. When i initially measured the clearences i forgot to take into account the depth of the turntable well - but not to worry.

There is currently some filler drying, once that is dry ill take some pics (probably tommorrow) and post them.
Old 10th June 2009, 23:25   #17
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Right, time for the next picture post. I've spent the last 5 days working on the layout, and it feels good to be building again. However, exams take priority, so im spending the rest of the week revising for a Stats exam next monday.

Here is some pics of my work since my last post. (As before, if you want to see any of the pics larger, just click - though at this stage there aren't any tiny details).

Height markers for the new track level

Testing clearances:

Expanding foam blobs attack:

Cut to size:

Plaster mountains:

And thats all for now. The GE44T loco i ordered in September last year is going to be shipped some time this week, along with a turntable, TT motor, coal tower, scatters and various other bits and bobs. I need to order some track though before i can continue on the layout, but anyway, with exams, there is no hurry.
Old 10th June 2009, 23:49   #18
neil

Very good Tom hope you got none of that foam on the window it will not come off. The wire work looks impresive and the loading gauge looks tight in places

Neil
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 08:57   #19
JackBlack

Very good tom, your doing great so far.
keep up the progress
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 09:01   #20
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Thanks! Well the last bit of progress for a week or so was to sand the plaster smooth which i have just done.