All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 14th May 2011, 02:35   #11
BR60103

Default Re: Help: Peco turn out motor stuck at one side

Some Peco points have the tie strip assembled right around the throwbar/spring area and can get a little misaligned or pushed to close together.
I would not remove the spring if te motor is fastened directly to the points -- that leaves nothing to hold the points in position.
I use about 16V for my CDUs (not Peco) and get adequate service. More would possibly speed up the recharge cycle but not worth the risk.
Are you waiting for the CDU to recharge? Does it have an indicator?
If it "sort of" moves the points, the wiring is probably right.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 08:51   #12
kaustav

Thanks David. well, the CDU does not have an indicator - it's a bummer. But i tried throwing the switch without using it for half an hour, but still it "tries to move" and then goes back to the position. let me see if I can shoot video...
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 22:33   #13
kaustav

Question HELP: PECO Capacitor Discharge Unit Max Input Voltage

I am observing a frustrating thing with PECO CDU. Every time I throw a switch it takes 3-5 minutes for the CDU to be charged again before it can throw another one. And if I lose track of time in between or get frustrated to try it before 3 minutes, I need to wait for another three minutes before I can try doing the same!

I am using all PECO turnouts and switch machines. I am using 16V AC power as directed in the tiny PECO instructions that came with the CDU. But I really think I need to do something so that the CDU get charged faster and provides adequate thrust to the machines to make them snap at one go... god! it takes nearly 20 minutes to make a simple switching operation manoeuvring three switches!

Can some one help me with this please? I believe the immediate solution is to increase the input voltage, but I am not sure to what degree (as mentioned, instructions says 16V AC/12 V DC). Also what should be the amperage of the transformer?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:21   #14
B-17_Fortress

Default Re: HELP: PECO Capacitor Discharge Unit Max Input Voltage

Sounds to me like it just isn't delivering enough power to the CDU to charge it fast enough. I've never used CDU's on my layouts. I have an old 1970's controller with an auxillary 16vAC output, and used that supply directly to switch the solenoids.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 18:42   #15
kaustav

I also think the same, Steve... I am giving it a serious thought to discard the CDU... had a few friends visiting today and I actually ended up switching all my switches with hand! what a shame!
Old 30th July 2011, 19:57   #16
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

What i would suggest is to disconnect the CDU from the layout, then wire it up to a single motor (not one on the layout), and see how quickly it recharges. They should be fully charged and ready in a couple of seconds after each point, so it suggests that either the CDU is a dud, or somewhere on the layout there is a low resistance connetion across the output of the CDU resulting in a very slow charge.

The other option is that there is a loose connection on the input resulting in it getting insufficient power.

What sort of switches are you using the control the points? and what is the rated power of your supply?
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:22   #17
kaustav

All right, it was neither the CDU, nor my wiring - the culprit was the main power supply! The voltage for the mains are fluctuating for last quite a few days and average was quite below the standard 220V, so definitely the power that my tiny transformer was supplying to the machines was also fluctuating and quite often, not adequate.

Now that I have put a computer UPS between my layout and the main power supply, everything is running perfectly - switches are snapping, trains are running smoothly, lights have stopped flickering... thank god!

Thanks to all of you for all the helps and suggestions. I will refer back to this thread every time I come across a switch problem.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:19   #18
RW James

Wow... never thought you would need a UPS for the layout, but I guess as the electronics get more sophisticated that may become a requirement. Glad you found the solution.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote