All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2010, 14:26   #1
ricky

Default Simple Dcc Sound

Hi all,

My 00 locos are fitted with dcc decoders, but no sound system.

Would like to add a simple whistle or hoot to the decoder accessory terminal without going to the full sound systems.

Just wondered if there were any simple little sounders that could be used instead ?

Thanks
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 04:22   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Simple Dcc Sound

Ricky:
as far as I can tell there is little difference between installing a sound system with few features and a full-blown one.
The hard part is putting a speaker in. Once you have a speaker wired up, the sound chip replaces the simple DCC chip. At this point you may buy a chip with only the features you want. You can even buy a Coronation chip for your Deltic.
Wiring the speaker in may require replacing the socket if the original one doesn't have the right pin collection.
(This is all opinion from someone who doesn't use DCC on his own.)
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:52   #3
mosslake

Exclamation Re: Simple Dcc Sound

Ricky,
I agree with David's comments. Digitrax make a sound only add on for their decoders but the price may make adding a lower market sound decoder a viable option. I started in DCC in 1995 when non-sound was the only option. since then I've added sound to my favourate locos (and I'm quite happy with the MRC 567 GM sound thanks ). I have BLI sound SW-7 switchers as well as MRC sound SW-1200 switchers , MRC sound heisler, Soundtraxx Tsuname logging steam in a brass climax and PC shay. I like the MRC sounds in the diesels and Soundtraxx in my geared locos best but they all sound good.

What I'm getting at is, you get what you pay for, for better or worse. UK steam and diesel sound is outside my relm of experience so you'll have to seek help from someone more knowledgable .

One suggestion though, perhaps equipping a coach or dynamometer car or some such with a sound decoder (some sort of resister load needs to be added in place of the motor), one car for steam and one for diesels could be a solution of sorts.
I think Bachmann have/had an 'under the layout' sound system with generic sounds. Can't recommend it though as I've never seen or heard it.
mosslake is offline   Reply With Quote