All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Technical & Electronics also DCC
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 26th January 2008, 12:43   #1
aces

Question Smoke Generator Help Needed

Hi all, l have a HO 2-8-4 Berkshire steamloco that is DCC with led lights,My question is how do l wire it up as it was allready fitted but not wired in Or do l leave it unconnected? Please all help will be very much appreciated that's all for now..... Cheer's Ron (aces)
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 00:50   #2
StuartN

Default Re: Smoke Generator Help Needed

HI..

You can wire it via the pik-up leads going to the decoder, but just make sure you wire to the red and black...

First I would do a test and see if the DCC suppy is OK to run the smoke unit.

Stuart
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 03:34   #3
aces

Hi and Thankyou ,I tryed it out on my DCC controler with 2 of my old trains running on test track ,it ran ok But it ran to hot after about 1 minute of running & started to melt the shell of the loco So l think l will leave it disconnected as l don't won't to reak it...Thankyou again StuartN that's all for now............... Cheer's Ron (aces)
Old 29th January 2008, 01:28   #4
LancashireFusilier

Unfortunately I am reading this now. You should never have connected DCC current (AC and circa 15-16V) to the smoke generator. That is why you have function outputs on a decoder for. A decoder's function outputs can be used for this. If you don't have sound a function on your controller normally used for this could be used or in my case on British outline I don't use lights so I use the light function for my smoke generators.
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 02:48   #5
aces

Hi all LancashireFusilier l had it connected to the front light on the function output but it DID not want to work becouse there was not enought power becouse of the led lights, the chip is in the tender so to run the smoke generator l need to run 2 new wires & connectors from the Loco to the tender ,The kids like when l have the light's all on and running so that's all for now got to finish cleaning out the garage so l can start building my new layout to run the train Cheer's Ron (aces)
Old 4th February 2008, 02:36   #6
LancashireFusilier

I understand aces. You need to clearly know what the current and voltage requirements are of the smoke unit (I assume it is a Seuth or similar) and also know the function output voltage and current and tweak those using the appropriate values in the appropriate CVs of the decoder. Just hooking up things and seeing what happens can be costly.

It can be a pain to get all technical but that is what DCC is all about.
Old 5th February 2008, 00:21   #7
aces

Hi Paul,l do understand what you are saying the smoke gen is a HO scale seuth 6to9volt... (also know the function output voltage and current and tweak those using the appropriate values in the appropriate CVs of the decoder.)..I have no way to check the CV"S as of yet I'm am still learning ..When l go to see my parent's next time in melbourne lwill have to go to BRANCHLINE in Croydon to get the cv's checked for me so l better say some money for the trip 4 hour drive to get there so l will get some more supplys ..Thank you for your help as there is know one close to me l can lean from ..that;s all for know.......... Cheers Ron (aces)
Old 5th February 2008, 00:27   #8
LancashireFusilier

If you can tweak the values for voltage already just hook the function outputs up to a volt meter or mutimeter as it will be rectified DC currant and therefore measurable without any fancy tools. That way you can check that you have appropriate current and voltage entering the Seuth without a 4 hour drive.

Check too that the Seuth's original wiring or source of DC track current has been fully removed or isolated to ensure track voltage and current is not causing the over heating.

Did the smoke unit work fine before DCC?

Are you in Gippsland or the Western District?
Old 5th February 2008, 01:07   #9
aces

Hi Paul ,l;m in the south west near australia's biggest salt lake called Lake Corangamite ..l was talking to the person l got the train off and he said he,s late father put the smoke gen into it and did not get to finish it of sadly ,so my boy;s were given all of he;s dad;s train;......it was new as l found the packed it was in .., there are no wire run to track it is totlle disconneded and isolated l will go and see if the farmer next door has a volt meter or mutimeter as my was stolen from the back of my ute when we were doing the hay thankyou that;s all for now .. Cheer's Ron (aces)
Old 5th February 2008, 05:43   #10
LancashireFusilier

Yeah I know the place used to day trip there as a kid and when my old man lived in Hamilton we would take the 4wd down that neck of the woods. I am a Geelong boy myself lost in the wild west!