All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Logging & Mining
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2011, 16:21   #1
WoundedBear

Default Beehive Sawdust Burner (JV Models Kit)

Hello Gents.......

Thought I'd post up a few pics of one of my latest projects. This is the HO scale Sawdust Burner from JV Models. It is going to be paired with their Lucas Sawmill kit for my layout.

It starts out by gluing 3 different sized discs over a dowel, then wrapping it with a cone pattern, transferred to and cut from cardstock. I capped the top with a thin strip of 1/4 inch styrene to help level the top surface out. In the one shot, I show how I drew the guide-lines around the burner to keep the courses of siding spaced evenly.

The screens are not part of the kit, neither is the styrene strip. I tried using faucet screens but found them too coarse for my liking. A trip to the local "head shop" turned up some nice fine meshed pipe screens. The ones I used are stainless steel, but there are brass ones available too (sometimes it's better to be able to solder a screen in place on a model than to try and glue it)

I painted the "openings" for the grates, the topping ring and the spark catcher flat black and the screens a red primer. A square hole was cut into the top of the cone and framed with stripwood. This is the conveyor inlet.

Access to the insides of the burner was needed, so I scratch-built the little foyer and after cutting a hole in the side of the cone, set it in place and flowed thinned white glue around the seams to attach it.
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 16:36   #2
WoundedBear

Default Re: Beehive Sawdust Burner (JV Models Kit)

Once the initial Construction was completed, the task of siding the structure was next. Almost 200 pieces of siding were cut into roughly 4 foot widths and applied one by one using Tacky Glue. All the courses of siding are laid so they over-lap in alternating driections, then the last piece of every course gets tucked in under the first one so there are no unsightly overlaps.

You can see how drawing the guidelines was an important step, although the instructions don't mention the idea. The screens stand out due to the black paint behind them and once the conveyor gets stuffed into the upper inlet you won't be able to see the unpainted inside surface of the model.

Top it all off with the kit's spark catcher and a ladder and voila! It still needs to be weathered, but that will come another day. I tend to buid the structures I want for a certain area or scene, then weather them at one time. I find this gives a more balanced and even effect that really helps tie a scene together.

Enjoy the pics. More to come, I promise.......it may be later than sooner, but there is more to come.

Sid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track space.jpg (12.3 KB, 184 views)
Old 19th August 2011, 04:02   #3
JohnM

Very nice Sid.

That looks like a very handy stand you have. I don't suppose it holds only pencils.

Never heard of one of these actually but I found this pic if you need any inspiration for weathering.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclist...-wigwam-teepee
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 07:29   #4
RW James

I used to see these near the tracks where I grew up in Reno, Nevada. I didn't realize until later that there must have been some kind of sawmill there - later replaced with a commercial lumberyard. All long gone now.

Nice job with the build (liked the pencil trick). Now you need to put a smoke generator in it. Or make it into an incense burner with pine scent.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:56   #5
WoundedBear

John..........Thanks for that link on Flickr. Great pics of one of these. I recall seeing these here in Northern Alberta growing up in the 60's and 70's. Sadly, there are very very few left standing.

RW......I never thought about a smoke generator until you mentioned it......I did consider putting a red bulb inside, but again, too late....lol. I remember these burners "glowing" through the vents and top grate at night. The way I constructed this model, there is no easy way to add a bulb now, and not having an opening behind the lower vent screens, means you wouldn't see anything anyways. Who knows?, I may sell this one off at the yearly train show and build myself another.

Thanks for the positive feedback, Gents.

Sid