All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Model Rail Operations
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2010, 06:09   #1
Santa Fe SDA

Default "I Shall Call You . . . Um . . . "

Now that I've begun my model railroad, I'd like to call it something. How does one go about naming their layout? I'm basing mine loosely on a recreational area named Highlands Park. I'd like something that sounds fun and relaxing. Any suggestions? Rather than suggesting "how about calling it ___?" maybe you can help me with a "formula" so I can come up with my own name?

Thank you, brother railfans. (Any sisters out there?)
Santa Fe SDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 06:59   #2
JackBlack

Default Re: "I Shall Call You . . . Um . . . "

I'm having the same problem.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 07:17   #3
LoudMusic

I cheaped out and used the name "P&E RR", for Paul and Elizabeth. I was trying to get my wife interested, to no avail

Next time around I'll use something catchy like "Itzbrok & Idonwannafixit".
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 08:59   #4
Roy Buchanan

Pick something that's easy to decal and short, preferably from combinations of decals that already exist. Makes lettering rolling stock sooooooooo much easier.
Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 20:47   #5
BR60103

Don't make any bad puns. John Allen eventually grew tired of "Gorre and Daphetid", but it was so well known that he had to keep it.
My wife named ours "Perth and Exeter" after towns that we grew up in. It is flexible as there are a number of both towns around the world. On the other hand, "Esquesing and Chinguacousy Radial Railway" doesn't have any cars lettered for it yet...
You can always model a road whose name was more ambitious than its finances -- the "Kennebunkport and San Diego" may only have had 5 miles of track in Kansas. Springfield Terminal, Portland Harbour give you a choice of locales.
Name something major for your wife; even if she doesn't say so, she'll be pleased. Just don't make it anything messy: Jane's Junqueyard will not go over. My wife looked at Exeter (Ste Dayle's) station and said, "It's all tracks!"
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 05:42   #6
Santa Fe SDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR60103 View Post
Don't make any bad puns. John Allen eventually grew tired of "Gorre and Daphetid", but it was so well known that he had to keep it.
My wife named ours "Perth and Exeter" after towns that we grew up in. It is flexible as there are a number of both towns around the world. On the other hand, "Esquesing and Chinguacousy Radial Railway" doesn't have any cars lettered for it yet...
You can always model a road whose name was more ambitious than its finances -- the "Kennebunkport and San Diego" may only have had 5 miles of track in Kansas. Springfield Terminal, Portland Harbour give you a choice of locales.
Name something major for your wife; even if she doesn't say so, she'll be pleased. Just don't make it anything messy: Jane's Junqueyard will not go over. My wife looked at Exeter (Ste Dayle's) station and said, "It's all tracks!"
Thank you for your assumption that there is a Mrs. Santa Fe SDA, but alas, I am single, so the wife thing won't do.

I grew up in Burbank, IL, which doesn't have the same pizazz as "Perth & Exeter." Is it just me or do all of these layouts have two names?

I'll keep thinking about it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Hmmm . . . I'm not only a rail fan, but I'm also a space geek. Maybe something in memory of space shuttle Columbia?

Is that too dorky?
Santa Fe SDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 06:35   #7
LoudMusic

Burbank & Pacific?

And I like bad puns. When you get tired of it just have the company get bought out by another bad pun. The jokes never stop.
Old 26th February 2010, 07:20   #8
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe SDA View Post
...Is it just me or do all of these layouts have two names?
Quite often railroads are named after their two end points. Then if it expands, they simply add a third name - as in AT&SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe SDA View Post
Hmmm . . . I'm not only a rail fan, but I'm also a space geek. Maybe something in memory of space shuttle Columbia?

Is that too dorky?
Really? So am I. I actually have a Challenger coin - actually I bought it for my daughter - in memory of the first shuttle disaster. I am also into rocketry with a Level One High Power Certification. I thought once of building a totally fictional launch complex with trains bringing out the rockets (instead of the crawler) and trains being used to fill the fuel tanks. But the horribly dirty environment where we normally launch rockets is not good for model trains.

I think that naming your layout after something like that would be fine, but you're liable to find yourself constantly explaining it to people. It would be great if you could figure out how to make the name carry a double meaning that would make sense.

For instance, I named my HO layout the Bump & Grind. But it wasn't at all a burlesque railroad (whatever that would be). It was a mining railroad, with the mine being on the "bump" and the ore processed at Grind. Or it was how my poorly made engines ran - you had to bump the table to make them go, and then they made a grinding sound. It went on and on like that. Basically, I had lots of reasons for the name. It made it kind of fun.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 00:51   #9
BR60103

I suspect that many railroads put in the names of communities that they planned to service and that they hoped would put some money into them. Some of them were not specific (Baltimore and Ohio) while others were hopelessly optimistic (Check out the large number with Pacific in the name).
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 02:42   #10
LoudMusic

You could just string together a bunch of letters and ampersands and worry about what it means later

The FGB & KSL & T & LW & V & Western ... & Northern ... Pacific. Railroadway.