All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Model Rail Operations
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd November 2010, 08:46   #1
JeffR

Default A days operation at a terminus.

I have read the posts about realistic operations at a terminus, what with uncoupling locomotives from arriving trains, removing stock to sidings for cleaning etc. etc.

My earliest recollection, from about 4 to 12 years old, is of train travel to the East Coast. In the late 1940's and early 50's, for our holidays our parents would buy "Round About" tickets whereby we could travel about East Anglia to various holiday resorts.

Inevitably we would go to Hunstanton and it was this journey that so enthrawled me. We could catch a train at either of the Peterborough stations; the North Station was always better as you got a longer ride.

The journey took us past rows and rows of brick wagons at Whittlesey, sometimes to the busy junction at March, although frequently March would be bypassed.

Anyway rather than describe the whole journey, the point I am trying to make is that both Kings Lynn and Hunstaton are stations with great potential.

Kings Lynn was a station with 3 lines radiating from it. That to Hunstsnton, Ely and Swaffham.

Sorry for the ramblings; the point I am trying to make is I am trying to duplicate a days operations at Kings Lynn, in early Diesel days, with trains arriving from one direction and departing in another, e.g. from Peterborough into Kings Lynn and on to Hunstanton.

I have plenty of information from books etc and have amassed sevaral photographs. If any contributor has ideas where I can locate further information it would be gratefully appreciated.

Jeffr

P.S. Hunstanton was imortalised by John Betjemen in his 1950's film and is a great source of information about the line.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 00:25   #2
Chock

Default Re: A days operation at a terminus.

I presume you know about these things, which will be useful if the lines have not changed much over the years, since they are up to date track diagrams: http://www.trackmaps.co.uk/

Alternatively, there is this historical atlas, probably suitable for the period you mention: http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail.../dp/0711027269

Of those, I have some of the Quail ones, so I know those are good, but I don't have that atlas, so can't tell you whether it is any use. The Quail ones are great if you want to model exactly how the tracks are with the points in all the right places and such. In fact I did exactly that using Volume 4 Midlands and North West, to create the route from my local station up to Manchester in the route creator in the sim, Trainz 2010 Engineer's Edition. Here's a couple of screenshot of that when I was making it using those Quail track plans:

Of course you can use Google Earth and things like that too, as it is often possible to see where old tracks were when viewing a satellite pic. That was another thing which came in handy for making the above.

Al
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote