All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2012, 11:12   #1
Blackcloud

Default Lyddlow (MkII)

After making a replacement fiddleyard for another layout I now find myself with a spare baseboard. What temptation.

I've been without an O scale standard gauge layout for a while so I've shortened (!) the old traverser board to 32 inches and drawn up a plan.

a - Front track, 2 wagons
b - Middle track, 3 wagons
c - Rear track - 2 wagons
d - Scenic break footbridge
e - Loading dock
f - Low relief factory
g - Off stage cassette, loco and 1 wagon

It does fit...

I am tempted to have a go at hand laying the track, using code 100 rail salvaged from the On30 traverser, but may chicken out and take the easy option if it doesnt work.

Anyhow, this is a long term project, probably for the winter months when it's too cold to work in the garage. Just a nice size for making on the kitchen table (while SWMBO is not looking).

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 19:05   #2
Made in Italy

Nice idea, where does the tram loco come from?
Is that of the Wisbech and Upwell ?
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 19:19   #3
Blackcloud

The loco is an ex Great Eastern Railway G15, later LNER Y6 class. These were originally used on the W&U but later transferred elsewhere on the system. The O scale model is by Skytrex, one of the first production run. I'd had it on pre-order for a while before it was released.
Old 17th September 2012, 21:12   #4
Blackcloud

After some deliberation I've taken advice given on another forum and gone for a loco plus two on the tail track. I've also extended the front road to take three wagons.

The tail track is a cassette rather than a traverser because the back road is raised slightly for scenic effect, this siding ends at a coal drop.

The middle road will serve the loading dock and the front road is for storage of wagons off spot, incoming traffic awaiting its turn at the dock or coal drop and outbound wagons for dispatch on the local goods.

The factory is not big enough to justify its own locomotive, so it calls upon the Lyddlow Light Railway (part of the Blackcloud Railways group) to shunt the yard as and when required. The road bridge so close to the buffer stops is explained by the simple fact that the railway was there first and the local authority had to provide the bridge when they built the new road.
Old 18th September 2012, 22:31   #5
GWRman

I think that your change will work better and put you on the right track (D'oh). This is a really compact layout as are most of your designs. I look forward to seing it develop.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 19:11   #6
Blackcloud

The track is now ballasted (or sunk into the mud to be more exact), the filler has been painted with acrylics but most of it will be covered with grass and weeds anyway. The loading dock has been coated with filler too, I'll scribe the stonework on after a couple of days when it's set fully.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:29   #7
Blackcloud

I have wired the microlayout and given it a test run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoU_416_2c
Old 25th September 2012, 19:19   #8
Made in Italy

It seems to run pretty well, congratulations.
Just a couple of questions,
what is the "pit" in the loading track supposed to be for?
what is that "handle" (or so looking like) on the cassette?
then I went to have a look on the site of Skytrex but I couldn't find anything of the Y6, what was wrong with my search?
Bye Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 20:09   #9
Blackcloud

Hi Franco

The pit... Many British wagons had bottom doors for unloading by gravity over coaldrops like this.

The handle... Is for pulling the cassette in and out of the berths for each track. The layout is intended for operation from the front most of the time (ie at home) but I was stood behind the layout for the video which is why I wasn't using it.

The Y6... Released some four or five years ago and may not be in current production. Pity, as it's a lovely little loco. I think the class 02 diesel shunter model, which is still on the catalogue, uses the same mechanism if you're after a reliable shunter but the price appears to have doubled since I bought my Y6.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:19   #10
Blackcloud

I have been waiting for some window frames ordered from Purple Bob's Hobbies on Ebay, they arrived this morning and are just the ticket. They come in black, which is not much good against the black background used to simulate the dark interior of the mill, but are easy enough to paint before attaching to the building.

The wall surface has been built up around the window frames and painted to seal the cardboard. Unfortunately the next stage is not so easy, and a lot messier, so I'm not going to start rendering the wall with filler until later.

I have also made a start on the fascia, using hardboard salvaged from Altgarten, and the bridge parapets have been cut from Altgarten's cassettes. Never throw anything away!