All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2007, 10:08   #11
hartleymartin

Default Re: Thomas the tank engine

I have seen an old Lima 4F done up as Thomas the Tank Engine in a Railway Modeller magazine long, long ago.
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 23:17   #12
Blackcloud

Just found this website, purely by accident, as one does when bored and surfing at random.
Old 16th March 2007, 02:22   #13
paceway

Thanks Bob... That's a great link for any Thomas fan. My grandson went nuts when I showed it to him. He is three going on twelve.

Bob
paceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 14:50   #14
Blackcloud

I know a lot of serious modellers who don't like TTT but I look at it this way, if we don't get the next generation of modellers interested in trains before they discover computers the hobby will take a nose dive when the current lot die off!

I have a TTT "Toby" which accompanies my OO layouts, Cotton Lane and Port Abel, to shows. He spends most of the time sat in the fiddleyard doing nothing but sticks his nose out when required, usually in response to plaintive cries of "Where's Thomas?" from a bored looking child while its father watches the shunting.

Incidentally, Toby can have his appearance greatly improved by cutting the body from the skirts just above footplate level and removing the bottom two planks before re-assembly. This brings the oversize (former clockwork?) body into normal OO scale loading gauge.
He needs his face trimming a little to fit the reduced height so the result looks a bit of a chinless wonder... With a name like Toby I'd expect him to be upper middle class though.
Old 16th March 2007, 19:38   #15
shortliner

Article on adjusting the Hornby version of Toby into something more like the W&U loco that he was based on - in April 2007 Railway Modeller 3 pages done as a photo how-to. The trouble is that it is giving me ideas!!
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
shortliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:49   #16
danceswiththewolf

Hi Bob,
My wife runs a Thomas web site at (Sorry) We imported G scale and O scale Thomas sets and we often have spare parts and bits lying about. I started a G scale layout around a Lionel Thomas set but to be honest the quality is pretty poor compared to LGB and such. What scale were you thinking of? If I can help by sending you some bits my wife will be delighted that I am finally clearing out the collection of locos I have taken apart! We can't get the G scale sets anymore so all my spare parts are going to be going in the bin soon anyway - I will be happy just to see them going to good use. I can also e-mail you pictures and diagrams of O gauge and G Thomas.
A lot of stock Lionel parts are used inside Thomas but sadly the bodyshell itself is an out of stock part. If you are looking for an HO template loco to scale up I would suggest Bachmann over Hornby though as they more closely resemble the TV series locos.
Happy building....

Kenny
danceswiththewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 20:08   #17
paceway

Hi Kenny, nice Thomas web site. You guys sure have some nice stuff. I am going to scratch build Thomes in G scale. I need anything I can get for the drive system and chassis.

My plan is to build Thomas of brass and what ever details I can get my hands on. If you have any parts that you think I might be able to use please let me know.

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2007, 03:16   #18
hartleymartin

If you were going to model in O scale (2-rail fine scale) then you can purchase a W&U Y6 class (toby) for 150 british pounds from skytrex ready-to-run.
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 05:28   #19
paceway

Thanks Martin but I have #1 gauge in the ground and that's were we want to run... It would be nice to both... O and G scale...
Old 14th November 2010, 22:03   #20
bigdave

Hi Kenny,
I am looking for spare drive cogs for my grandsons TTT engines.
In particular the cogs for his SPENCER engine, which has a couple of teeth missing.
Do you know where I can purchase such parts? ie. a website etc?
Thank you and cheers
bigdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswiththewolf View Post
Hi Bob,
My wife runs a Thomas web site at (Sorry) We imported G scale and O scale Thomas sets and we often have spare parts and bits lying about. I started a G scale layout around a Lionel Thomas set but to be honest the quality is pretty poor compared to LGB and such. What scale were you thinking of? If I can help by sending you some bits my wife will be delighted that I am finally clearing out the collection of locos I have taken apart! We can't get the G scale sets anymore so all my spare parts are going to be going in the bin soon anyway - I will be happy just to see them going to good use. I can also e-mail you pictures and diagrams of O gauge and G Thomas.
A lot of stock Lionel parts are used inside Thomas but sadly the bodyshell itself is an out of stock part. If you are looking for an HO template loco to scale up I would suggest Bachmann over Hornby though as they more closely resemble the TV series locos.
Happy building....

Kenny
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote