All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2016, 17:19   #321
kaustav

No problem at all John. Hope you had a good trip.

Pontoons make complete sense! How are they generally secured in their respective place - do I model mooring on them, or are they generally anchored?

The ship will be made parallel once I build the pontoons, and I have to model it properly moored and stationery since I am simulating that the product transfer has already begun. The challenge for mooring for me is that the available space is so less (and frankly un-prototypical) there is no way to model mooring away from the ship - right in the front of the ship there is the bridge. I might manage something towards the stern, but the bow side has no space at all. Also the starboard side is water and passage way for boats further inside, so I cannot model buoys there.

I am scratching my head again!
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 12:47   #322
JohnM

We had a great trip. My sister will not fly and so came on a cruise ship, had overnight in Quebec and sailed in the evening.

Mooring on the pontoon would be either chain or wire, or even a combination with wire on top and chain at the lower end, from the far side of the pontoon to the wall, and as it's low water they would be almost at full extension. (the weight of chain will keep it along side as the tide rises.)

As for Sirius, the bow is quite simple. One line from as far forward as possible to the bollard by the green tank, another from the break of the forecastle to the same bollard, then one from there aft to the bollard by the yellow building.

The aft end is a different kettle of fish. I would suggest an extra bollard, the pontoon will need another one to tie off to anyway. One right by the gangway would work. Then it would be as easy.

Cheers
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 09:07   #323
kaustav

Thank you John! I will get to that this week and complete the scene. Hopefully will have some pictures by next week.

Take care,
Kaustav
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote