All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 24th February 2012, 00:43   #1
man7sell

Talking A River Runs Through.

I have kept away from joining a club/group whatever. But at the Munroe show I met up with a group that will be going to the Narrow Gage Convention in Bellevue (Seattle) this year. So I adopted a 6' x 2' module that is framed and wired but that's about it. This lets me go straight to work on an interesting section. So I thought I would like to share this river part with you.

Here's the blank canvas (well with the basic through line that will change a little.)

3 bridges will be needed as the switch back crosses the river along with the mainline.......Love bridges. Shape of the river marked and track cut.

Now tradition thought is complete and test the trackage before doing scenics. However experience has taught me that if there is to be tracks over water then that part of the scenery needs to be addressed first.

After finding where the tracks will cross the river (3 times in this case) it's time to address the river bed.

After marking the outline of the river, i use a sharp modeling knife to score the bed, effectively digging out the river. You don't have to go too deep, depth can be obtained by color.

Next a shop vac to pick up the pieces. Running the shop vac over the surface takes more material out and smooths the bottom to some degree.

The next part requires going outside. I use a torch designed for creme bruele. Harbour Freight has these for half the price of the kitchen store.

Run the flame over the rough river bed along the direction of water flow. This does 2 things.
1. flattens out the river bed
2. seals the river bed to some extent because it is melting the foam.

man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 00:53   #2
man7sell

Default Re: A River Runs Through.

Now that the three bridges are in, time to add more decomposed granite. I have 3 different sieves that give 4 different sizes of granite. I'm using what I call course and fine, these give pebble size and coarse sand. Now you see that most of the green riverbed is covered so that just little amounts of green show through.

Along the banks and around the bridge areas add WS ground cover. This has some large chunks of what looks like drift wood. The whole lot gets wet water, then when it's how I want it, 1/2 water 1/2 white glue a few drops of alcohol and glue it all down.

Then wait.....and wait..... and wait

Old 24th February 2012, 00:58   #3
man7sell

Everything is dry so now for the first pour. very important. make sure the layout is level.

My preference is for Magic Water, tried them all I think and find this to be the best....for me

Check to make sure nothing is 'floating' in the river. Don't worry about the larger rocks if they protrude above the water, Mod Podge water effects will take care of this.

Now the long 24 hour wait. (Check that there are no leaks and that their is a cover so no dust get on the water while setting.)

Old 24th February 2012, 01:01   #4
man7sell

Reason to always do 2 pours. Because there is always little nooks and grannies between rocks or the base of bridges, the water will always take a little longer to fill those voids. Hence it looks like the tide is going out. So a second smaller pour will be necessary. problem is I ran out so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

If you look at the base of the bridges it shows up the most. Of course these photos are very close.

Another option if the water will be fast flowing, then more buildup with the Mod Podge for the water effect will fix this.

OK the MS has almost set so there will be no further level change. This time I'm going to mix about half the quantity as I just want to go up a small amount. So here's the first level followed by the final height. Must not go about the fly fishing gal's waders

More to come after the second pour has cured......
Old 24th February 2012, 01:04   #5
RW James

Welcome to AMR! Nice work so far on the module.

I share your concern about joining a club. There was a layout tour here last November and one of the layouts featured a On30 modular club layout - looking very similar to what you have there. I was kind of excited about seeing what they were up to with the idea that I may want to join them. But they were the unfriendliest bunch of guys I'd ever seen. Glad your group was better.

Looking forward to seeing how your river turns out. I may follow your lead there.

Oh, and by the way, what does man7sell mean? I almost reported you as a spammer! (Glad I didn't)
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 01:10   #6
man7sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Welcome to AMR! Nice work so far on the module.

I share your concern about joining a club. There was a layout tour here last November and one of the layouts featured a On30 modular club layout - looking very similar to what you have there. I was kind of excited about seeing what they were up to with the idea that I may want to join them. But they were the unfriendliest bunch of guys I'd ever seen. Glad your group was better.

Looking forward to seeing how your river turns out. I may follow your lead there.

Oh, and by the way, what does man7sell mean? I almost reported you as a spammer! (Glad I didn't)
My last name.... The '7' is silent. Old vaudeville joke. Always get a logon that way
Old 24th February 2012, 20:17   #7
man7sell

Well it should be set this morning. Put the heat on in the garage and it will be time for ..............

MOD PODGE

After removing the dams I like to clean up the edge. Later a thin coat of Mod Podge with make this look clean and clear.

OK now for the white. A small and moderately stiff art brush I find good. using acrylic paint from the craft store 99c on sale. A plastic lid and just one small spot of white paint. Take the paint from the edge and wipe the excess away. remember less is MORE.

Imagine the water flowing around the objects in the river, the rocks and the bridge parts. the disturbed water will be down stream, along side, and maybe even ontop of the object. Start adding the paint little at a time. You don't want too much bright white, it's not there in real life. Swirl the brush to give disturbed water behind the object then trail off the bubbles as they flow down stream fading out.

Old 24th February 2012, 20:21   #8
man7sell

This is the entire amount on the river, you can away add, harder to take away.

This is the total amount of paint used.

Now for the MP (Mod Podge). For this a fuller soft brush is used. You are trying to build up water movement be it ripples, wind blown, or water turbulence. So you can go heavy. It will dry clear. There should be MP anywhere you have the white paint. Now thing of the case of a river with say a bolder. The buildup of water will be infront of the boulder and flow around. Swirling behind the boulder and then trailing off behind. I will probably do 2 of three lots of this.

Here is the MP before it drys clear. This is good because you can see where you have put it and you can see the flow. When it drys I will add a photos.

Old 24th February 2012, 21:48   #9
man7sell

OK while the MP dries a bit of fun. Using some self hardening clay, sculpted a fish, really nice big Brown... Maybe a record

Really it was THAT BIG

So for dramatic water effect I'm trying some stuff called Golden Gel Mediums, extra heavy gel gloss.

This is making a real splash on the river.

Old 24th February 2012, 23:57   #10
RW James

That's looking really nice! I assume a lot of that Mod Podge will dry clear - would love to see the final results
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote