All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2010, 22:34   #1
Nuada

Default Cliff Faces? Have you used Sculptamold?

Hello, well I would like to start off by saying I am not interested in making model trains, instead I am on this site because I like making model terrain for a tabletop, miniature, strategy game called Warhammer (anyone heard of it?). I read somewhere that instead of just staying in the Warhammer community for tips on scenery I should go to people who have been making model train scenery since they usually have a lot more experience with it. And so here I am

The project I am going to be working on is making a waterfall palace for my Wood Elves (link so you know what I am talking about: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle= ). The Palace itself I think I know how to build, and I found some tips on how to make waterfalls, but I am struggling with how to make the cliff face area of the waterfall. So below is a link of the waterfall I would like to recreate.

I would like the finished product to be lightweight and movable so I can change out scenery on my game board whenever I need to. The current idea I have is building a styrofoam base and then putting clay or sculptamold on top to make it look like cliffs. Is this how you would do this?

Also with sculptamold, have you used it? I read that it is easy to use, but I am confused on whether I have to make a mold or not. Can I just shape it by hand like clay/playdough?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Nuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 02:24   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Cliff Faces? Have you used Sculptamold?

I think Sculptamold goes on like clay, not like a casting.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 04:19   #3
hminky

I have never used Sculptmold as a clay. Mixed with latex paint it can be used for texture:

That is over stacked ceiling tiles. Visit:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/dynamite_lines/

Thank you if visit
Harold
hminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 12:19   #4
Chock

Sculptamold is primarily intended for casting stuff in molds, but there is nothing stopping you from using it without a mold, although it has a curing time of about half an hour, so you would have to work fast and in small sections if you wanted to hand form it, and the feasibility of doing that would depend on just how big a scene you want to create is likely to be. Wire brushes, toothbrushes and that sort of thing are good for creating surface texture if you do that.

You might want to consider using cork bark instead, which makes excellent rock formations and is light enough to end up with something portable. You can get that from florists or fancy pet shops that sell supplies for snake and lizard tanks. Or you can order it online from places like this: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=180

Cheap wall filler will do the trick too, but you need a good solid base if you use that, and it isn't especially light when dry, so avoid if you want portability, although you could use it sparingly and get away with it.

For the water part of your scene, check out Woodland Scenics products, in particular, E-Z Water (for the main bits) and Water Effects (for the surf and foaming white water parts). You can find and read about that stuff here: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandsceni...category/Water

And yes, I have certainly heard of Warhammer.

Al
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 20:16   #5
Nuada

Hmm, is there something that can he handmolded like clay, airdries, and doesn't dry that quickly (like maybe dries after a couple hours?) Also affordability would be cool....

Hmm, but isn't the cork bark just bark? I want to sort of form it to the shape I want, how would I do that with bark?

Thanks for the good tips btw
Nuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:36   #6
Chock

You probably should take a look at this if you want air drying clay: http://www.amazon.com/Das-Pronto-Mod.../dp/B000J40MU0

That's easy to model with and it dries in a few hours, and you can find it in most craft/art supply shops. It's good enough to create a model with, or you can also make molds with it too if you want to reproduce something a few times.

I often use it to make molds by pressing a model into it and then letting it dry. Then you can remove the model, pin thin acetate over the mold and use the model to push it in after you've softened the acetate with a heat gun, which gives you thin 'blister pack' style moldings. That's a good technique for making stuff such as aircraft canopies for model aeroplanes, but you could adapt that method to make whatever you like.

Al
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:28   #7
Selector

For light and scorable/scupltable, it is hard to beat extruded stryrofoam. The stuff can be stacked and shaped with knives, with files, and with wire brushes.

Or, if you would still prefer a more durable surface to carve, do the basic shaping with the foam and then cover the foam with hydrocal, structo-lite, walllboard mud, patching plaster...any such medium. Then, once these harden, and while they harden, do the typical shaping and carving you need with rotary bits in a hand-held.

-Crandell
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote