All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2010, 21:20   #1
LoudMusic

Default Flooded track

Has anyone here ever modeled or seen modeled a section of flooded track that is still operational on the layout? Or what about flooded track that isn't operational as well. I'm still day dreaming about an On30 logging line in the Pacific Northwest and, well, it rains a lot here. I figure a logging line might get flooded frequently and have to work through it.

Something like what's in this video would seem to be doable as a model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veIK8o4B6tM

This video, on the other hand, would not be modelable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGwUhIXLDk
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 22:44   #2
b12brother

Default Re: Flooded track

Hi, I guess you're thinking of something like this
http://sites.google.com/site/fundynorthernrr/

Flooded operational track of a logging railroad.
If I remember right there is also a picture of the Lomax Lumber Co. in the Walthers catalog, an orange 44-tonner with some MDC cars.
b12brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 22:58   #3
Blackcloud

Something like THIS?

The Buffalo Creek & Gauley didn't bother with bridges on their Lily Fork branch, they just forded the stream.
http://www.buffalocreekandgauley.com...s/ERCLOps.html

I don't think water this deep could actually be modelled using conventional electrical pick up, perhaps battery operation and radio control would work in larger scales?
Old 30th July 2010, 23:26   #4
LoudMusic

Wow! Great information! Thank you for the links - they're perfect.

The Fundy Northern RR site unfortunately doesn't seem to have additional images or information about the flooded track module but that one picture is inspirational for what I had envisioned. Great to see someone has already gone this route - give me hope that I could mimic his work.

I think the flood water could come right up to the head of the rail so long as it doesn't cover it, and a thin groove cut along the inside of each rail so the flanges have somewhere to go. Similar to a grade crossing with cement, but even closer clearances on the flange groove. Keeping in mind pouring the 'water' into place perhaps some thin wedges placed along the inside of the rail would work, then remove then when the material sets. If the water was made murky enough the grooves for the flanges might go unnoticed.

Thanks again for the great links - exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 31st July 2010, 01:02   #5
JohnM

I recall seeing somewhere a chap had built a small coffee table sized layout with water. Darned if I can remember where, but it required distilled water, as completely pure water doesn't conduct electricity. It's the impurities that are the conductors. Hope that helps.

John

http://scottpages.net/SpiritiNgAway.html

Not actually sure if this is the one I was thinking of but it's the same process.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 02:05   #6
LoudMusic

That's rather interesting. Not entirely sure I would introduce that to a larger layout with more expensive parts, but it's a really cool experiment. I wonder how long the distilled water stayed 'low-conductive' before it started causing problems.

There are also companies doing research on, and perhaps even selling, computer systems that are entirely submerged in non-conductive oils that are run through a radiator in order to super cool the computer. I imagine if the liquid is either the right color, or colorless, it would work very well for this application as well.

Another great link! Thank you for sharing.
Old 31st July 2010, 02:32   #7
JohnM

Conductivity is one of the tests we do on our boiler water. It gives us a measure, in micro-mho's, of the conditions inside the unit
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 09:57   #8
JackBlack

Very interesting..
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 11:02   #9
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

In theory the water wouldn't conduct enough to worry about as long as it stayed above 1k Ohm (would draw less current than an LED)... Tap water, as long as you don't add salt is easily higher than that as far as Im aware. What would be more of a problem is if the loco doesnt displace all of the water off the rails and then looses power. Another forseeable issue is corrosion of the rails and loco wheels.

It would certainly be an interensting experiment, though I don't think I will be trying it any time soon
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:59   #10
Smokestack Lightning

Great idea. It will add drama to your layout. You aren't using real water are you?
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote