All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2010, 04:47   #1
gl.summers

Default Walthers modular building weathering

Hey you all,
I just tried my hand at building a Walthers modular building and tried to make it old. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Here are some pictures:

gl.summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 05:04   #2
RW James

Default Re: Walthers modular building weathering

Well - first of all - nice job - I like the building. It looks fine for a building that's not too terribly old. But if you want it to be really old, there should be some stains where rusty, dirty water would have run down the inside corners and over the cornices above the windows. The windows should probably be dirty (a light spray with dullcote) and maybe a few of them broken out with boards patching them. The roof vents would also be the source of water stains running down the roof. The chimney should definitely be black on the inside with soot over the top. A couple of signs and bills glued to the walls would help. A really old building might have an old business sign painted on the bricks that has all but worn off and replaced with a newer sign (you can do that with a dry transfer). And finally, trash around the outside of the building.

That's all I got.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 15:03   #3
gl.summers

Rick,
When I looked at the picture and saw the yellow chimney I knew I had to fix that. I like the idea of the dullcote on the windows also. My main objective was to try to get the model to not look so plastic. I have so many on my layout that look so plastic. That's my goal. Not to be too old but to not look plastic. Another thing I remember about PA is how nice people keep their farms and homes. I sure welcome your comments. Larry
gl.summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 07:02   #4
JackBlack

I reckon it looks very nice, good job Larry.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:45   #5
Smokestack Lightning

Nice job. Not overdone. Some stains off the chimney would look good. Now you'll have to do the rest of the buildings to match.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote