All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2008, 01:06   #11
tinlizzy56

Default Re: How about wrecked rusty cars

Cool looking cars and trucks an stuff what scale are they?
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 06:26   #12
scrtchbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy56 View Post
Cool looking cars and trucks an stuff what scale are they?
They are mostly Hot Wheels which pretty well are 1/64th, which is S scale.
scrtchbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 04:09   #13
hockey_rocks

wow they look amasing and by that I mean like old scrap metal how old are the hotwheels? again looks awesome!
hockey_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:03   #14
tinlizzy56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtchbldr View Post
They are mostly Hot Wheels which pretty well are 1/64th, which is S scale.
well that's good work for such a small scale I was thinking 1.43 so keep up the good work.
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:48   #15
scrtchbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_rocks View Post
wow they look amasing and by that I mean like old scrap metal how old are the hotwheels? again looks awesome!

Thanks for the compliment.
I built most of these in the late 70s early 80s. Thats why the Cord had to be made by splitting a couple of VW's in half & gluing them back to back, also the tan sedan started out as a VW.
I'll probably build some more soon , before I make the diorama, a lot bigger field of hot wheels to pick from now. I recently bought a few Yat Ming trucks, 37 Studerbaker Pick up, 37 Ford & some other 30s- 40s type. Only problem is they are SO nice I'm not sure I can bear to wreck em!
I won't have anything later than the 50 ford in it, got a couple of Mercurys but again I can't bear to mess up a 50 Merc, guess the dealer that burned that gave me the Ford could have been a Dual- Dealer. Think a burned out 50 Merc would be nice?
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:51   #16
scrtchbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy56 View Post
well that's good work for such a small scale I was thinking 1.43 so keep up the good work.
I wish they were HO but there are not very many suitable candidates inHO.
Glad you liked them. Thanks for looking.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:13   #17
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

hehe they probably look alot better when you stylise them with rust and a visit to the model chop shop than they do new, or at least it think so.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:21   #18
JohnM

Thats some mighty fine hammering! What did you use for the weathering? I've been thinking of a scrapyard diorama too. I have a bag of 1:100 cars (21cents per) and am going to try microwaving some and crushing them. I will sometimes use rust (depending on the location). Find yourself a piece of rusty steel and attack it with course sand paper.

Look forward to seeing some more of your yard.

John
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:15   #19
scrtchbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
hehe they probably look alot better when you stylise them with rust and a visit to the model chop shop than they do new, or at least it think so.
Keep on telling me that they look better this way than new , like I said it's hard to take something as nice as the Yat Ming 37 Studebaker Truck & start hacking on it---- BUT I'm going to have to grit my teeth & get whacking.
I had not even looked for 1/64 cars in years , when I built these there were few "stock" cars built in 1/64 most were some wild fantasy things not at all suited to what I wanted to use them for.
WELL---- silly me-- I made the mistake of jumping on E bay looking for a few 30s to 50s cars --- WOW Times have changed !!
There are a TON of 30s 40s & 50s out there . I'm now the proud owner of around 60 of the little buggers now!! Fords ,31 -32 - 33 -34 -35 -37- 40 -41- 46 -47 -48 -50 Chevys , 39 -40 -41-47-48 -50 Studebakers, 37-51 -53-57 Packards,55- Pontiacs, 40-55-56, Dodges , a Nash, Hudsons, Buicks, a Divoco milk truck ( ever see a junk yard with out one of those full of driveshafts?)Oldsmobiles,Mercurys, Desoto, Dodge airflow truck, Last one I bought was a 40 Cad 75 Limo.
Boy---- am I glad I don't have a wife to ask where about 300 bucks went overnight!!
MAN am I gonna have fun -- I think--- --- they are SOOOOOOO NICE all shiny & NEW
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:27   #20
scrtchbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Thats some mighty fine hammering! What did you use for the weathering? I've been thinking of a scrapyard diorama too. I have a bag of 1:100 cars (21cents per) and am going to try microwaving some and crushing them. I will sometimes use rust (depending on the location). Find yourself a piece of rusty steel and attack it with course sand paper.

Look forward to seeing some more of your yard.

John
Good luck with the Microwave-- I'd think it would be a bit hard to control. A lot of the crushed & bent panels on these are actually made from aluminum , I use disposable baking tins or aluminum foil to form a new panel , cut off the old one & splice in the aluminum one which can be bent & crumpled. Thats also what I use to make the inner structure of deck lids & doors that have no trim panel on them
Severe rust is easily simulated by sprinkeling baking soda lightly into fresh rust paint , mud build up is made with powdered tempra paint the right color mixed with POP & dusted on a moist surface , then fixed with dull coat.
Love to see yours when you get a few done.