All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2008, 15:14   #1
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Question Painting Lines on Roads

Has anyone got any tips on painting road markings on an N-Gauge road.
Thanks.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 17:20   #2
mjAri

Default Re: Painting Lines on Roads

I have used a white gel pen to draw lines on my H0 scale roads. The tip of the pen is quite small so it might work for N-scale roads too.

Example of gel pen

The gel pens come in all sorts of colours, like yellow and red.
mjAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 17:59   #3
randythawkins

Here's what I did...I used roofing shingles for the roads so I was able to make my roads at the bench and then place on my layout. After paint the road a basic gray color, I took regular masking tape and outlined the place on the road where I wanted the stripes - about 1/16 inch apart. My road surface was rough so the tape didn't adhere perfectly but that was ok. I then covered the rest of the road and surround bench area with rags and such, leaving only the desired stripe areas showing. Using a yellow spray paint can I sprayed into the air above the road about 16 inches up. This would allow the spray to fall, at its own pace, onto the surface. Don't spray directly at the road - you will get too much paint and it will run under the tape. Do light passes, adding a little more each time. It does not take much and I discovered that when I thought I needed more, after removing the tape it turned out that I didn't. Here are some photos (and this is N Scale):

Hope that helps,
Randy
randythawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 18:18   #4
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Thanks for the tips both of you. Those roads look quite realistic.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:29   #5
LancashireFusilier

Nice road work there Randy
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 13:14   #6
randythawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancashireFusilier View Post
Nice road work there Randy
Thanks. I wish those photos were better quality...the lighting is bad and they are a bit out of focus. Anyway, while searching the web, trying to determine how to make my roads, I found an image which a guy showed using the back of a roofing shingle as his road. I thought it was a wonderful idea so I ran with it. It would give me the texture I wanted, it was flat, easy to cut, would shape itself for up/down hills, etc. The only limiting factor was I had to do it in pieces and butt them together. In the second image you can see the small piece sitting next to the larger one - the slanted line going across the road. I found that after I glued the roads down, attached w/ caulk, that I could fill the butt joint with a little wood putty and while the putty was drying (not after it had dried, but while drying) I could brush the extra putty away with a stiff paint brush. This would, for the most part, leave the putty only in the crack and not on top of the road. I did not have to sand it and the stiff brush would leave a rough texture surface. After the putty had dried, I painted the narrow line with some gray paint and did some weathering. An example of this is the first image (and, the best of the 3 butt joints that I did). If you look closely you can see there is a 'line' going across the road that is slightly smoother than the rest. That is more of a result of the additional paint filling in the shingle texture than the putty itself. Still, in my opinion, a very acceptable result.

Here are a couple more images if anyone cares...

This series shows the filling of the butt joint (these are not my most favorite results as far as final product):

In my original posting, the second image showed the butt joint where the small piece was next to the larger one. Here is the same spot after my blending work:
Old 13th February 2008, 13:20   #7
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

very effective, i was going to ask about those joins, but you got there first, well done.
Old 13th February 2008, 13:26   #8
randythawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
very effective, i was going to ask about those joins, but you got there first, well done.

Thanks. As much as I nitpick my work sometimes, I have to remind myself that once I back away and don't stare at those bad joint spots, they disappear. Also, once all the other scenic stuff is in place, no one will notice.
Old 14th February 2008, 06:32   #9
lcde61

I live in Missouri, our roads are more like the 'before'. Just Add some more patches & potholes?
lcde61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 08:47   #10
frank47

Nice looking roads them Thanks for posting
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote