All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 6th September 2006, 20:15   #1
frank47

Default Track planning software

Need advice as to what planning software is available for my next project, I'm looking for software that will help with baseboard planning and track on more then one level, I'm thinking of N gauge and using the room that my OO layout is in. There is not a great rush but would like to have made a start with the plans before the year end. I don't mind having to pay. So if anyone has experience of any software could they please post a link and comments. Thank You.
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 21:01   #2
Qube
Administrator

Default Re: Track planning software

A very popular software package is XtrkCAD from Sillub. As far as I am aware it's no longer available from the site as the author moved the project over to open source software.

You can download it from the following link http://dl.winsite.com/bin/downl?27000000038012 (after clicking, wait a few seconds for it to appear - ignore all the other junk on the screen)

Also after the software became freeware Sillub provided the unlock registration details, which are:

Name: Open Registration
Key: 248890010702
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 02:34   #3
DavidB

I can also highly recommend XTrkCad. It has quite an extensive library of track (different brands, etc) and a good user support base. There is a good XTrkCad mailing list if you want to go into it in detail.

Cheers
David
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:48   #4
frank47

I will look at that, thanks for your input.
Old 8th September 2006, 09:48   #5
shortliner

Frank - if you are stuck, email me and I will email you a copy
chacmool at lineone dot net
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
shortliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 13:31   #6
frank47

Thanks Jack I have downloaded and had a bit of a mess with it. I will continue to mess around with it starting with making a simple track plan then try and expand on it until I have mastered most of the commands. Does this allow u to run trains to test the running of a track plan?
Old 9th September 2006, 09:00   #7
shortliner

Yes it does, but you need to import or make trains - there are none set up - again an email wikll get you a file of US stock - when it is in there, you need to click on the little engine icon
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
shortliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 14:33   #8
frank47

Email on its way, thanks Jack
Old 10th September 2006, 07:28   #9
frank47

got that thanks Jack.
Old 11th September 2006, 04:09   #10
fsm1000

Frank, if you want to you can also try out a game called 'Trainz' at www.auran.com
I have used it to get ideas from in the 'surveyor' mode. You can create all sorts of things including scenery etc. For me anyhow, I found it much easier then using cad and I also get to 'play' on it as well.

Just a thought. I hope it helps