All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th October 2010, 20:43   #11
LoudMusic

Default Re: Winter wonder land ... only temporary

Well, that's brilliant. And exactly what I was wanting. Would you say the product is reusable after you've vacuumed it up?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 22:57   #12
Selector

I have never set out to reclaim it. I hear that people put panty hose inside the tube of a vacuum cleaner to reclaim stuff that might get sucked up when dusting, such as figures, wheelsets, bits of ground foam, etc. I think this stuff would have two problems: too small and too contaminated with all sorts of crud that would come up with it.

If this is to be a temporary thing, you can choose to look at it in one of two ways..not so expensive for the little effect you want for a short time, or expensive for the little effect for a short time. That is why I think one should try a dusting of baking soda, clean the rail tops and flange paths inside the rails, and then stage your photos or run the trains with impunity. It's not like any of the stuff should get sucked into a fan-cooled can motor or something. I doubt that it will migrate up onto rods and into journals, but it would be easy to do a quick short test and see if that happens. Some compressed air or a brushing with a clean artist's brush should get rid of it if it does.

I no longer recall what I paid for this shake bottle of the 'snow', but let's say it was USD$10. I still have half of that bottle left after a substantial snow-covered mountain on my first layout, and this one scene comprising 2-3 square feet of light coverage.

I think what give most of us pause is that it will either have to be taken up about once a year and replaced in order to look good/dust-free/bug-free, or you will have to cover it with a thin additional layer to keep it looking fresh. Ground foam and structures can be improved easily by vacuuming, spritzing down with solutions, or using a small artist's brush and blowing gently to displace dust. You can't do any of these with this product without ruining the coverage. It either is removed and replaced regularly, even if in 18 month cycles, or it must be 'painted' with a new layer, and that adds thickness. Between rails, that would present a problem ere long.

-Crandell

P.S. - I suppose it wouldn't hurt to wash the WS "snow". You could effectively sift it in water and decant water and crud that floats, which much will do initially. Then, let the substance dry (I don't believe it is water soluble) and you might have up to 80% of it reusable. Baking soda and water is a bust. Well, actually, it's a solution. But not one we can use.
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 23:20   #13
LoudMusic

This is great information.

The only concern is that the club layout that this discussion initiated for is abou 60 x 70, and perhaps 500 square feet of that would need to be dusted with 'snow' in order for the effect to be worthwhile. The cost could really add up.

Thanks again for the info!
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:49   #14
Smokestack Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
It came up at my club last night to research 'winterizing' the layout during winter show days. Has anyone used a fake snow product that was also easily removed? It seems like there could be a material that can be shaved or ground up fairly fine and sprinkled around the layout, then vacuumed off at a later date. It wouldn't be perfect but it could be effective enough to change the appearance for something different to look at.
Baking soda works well as snow and can be vacuumed up later.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 03:41   #15
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack Lightning View Post
Baking soda works well as snow and can be vacuumed up later.
Warning: if you have any brass equipment, baking soda will corrode brass. I know this from personal experience.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 04:06   #16
Smokestack Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Warning: if you have any brass equipment, baking soda will corrode brass. I know this from personal experience.
Good point. The layout I saw it on was likely plastic.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 21:08   #17
Selector

The idea would be to spread/sprinkle any product with care, and then to ensure the flange paths and the paths of any protrusions, including the pilot in front of the locomotive, are clear. The passing locomotive, brass or otherwise, doesn't have to encounter any "snow", no matter what the substance is. I always run my finger over the rail tops to clear them, and then I run several cars back and forth. Lastly, I take a needle file and run it, held vertically, against the inside flange face of the rails wherever I have spread any fake snow.

Once the scene is imaged, I remove engines and inspect the undercarriage and wheels. I will use a small clean artist's brush to flick away any lingering grains that are visible. A vacuum brush passed close along the bottom of the engine also does the trick.

Crandell
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 01:28   #18
RW James

Crandell - if you look at response #9 in this thread you'll see the diorama I was referring to. I used baking soda and left it on for about a month - it was used as a store window display. All the brass on the locomotive is real unpainted brass and the baking soda did corrode it. I cleaned it up with alcohol I think (it was many years ago).

But one point you made is valid - there really shouldn't be any snow on the locomotive, after a bit of running it would have melted off - my mistake.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:13   #19
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Rick, you should enter your photo into this months competition
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote