All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 6th May 2010, 16:57   #1
mysterd429

Default Airbrush with canned air?

Hi all,

Do these things work well? AIRBRUSH KIT Air Brush HOBBY PAINT SPRAYER w Canned Air

I don't have a great deal of money at the moment, and this seems like an affordable option. I also have never done airbrush painting before, but I've been working on a flat car that I'm going to need to paint pretty soon.

I'm not looking for perfect results, just smooth enough.

Thanks!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:11   #2
RW James

Default Re: Airbrush with canned air?

I used canned air for a while until I could afford a pump. It works.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 16:58   #3
jafo

Disclaimer: The following is my humble opinion only. My comments are from my personal experience with airbrushing

So, in response to your question: canned air does work, but of course not as good as a compressor. Also, when I use my airbrush, I apply several thin layers of paint instead of 1 or 2 thicker layers. I've tried it once (when my brother borrowed my compressor), and found that a can just didn't contain enough air to paint a loco from primer to final details, (which requires more paint than simple rolling stock). It's not bad if you are applying one color only, but if your project requires 3 or 4 different colors (like many loco's), you may find yourself running out of canned air.

The second thing to consider is that you have never done airbrush painting before. Although airbrushing isn't extremely complicated, it does take a little practice to get comfortable with it. You might find yourself going through several cans of air while practicing, which can quickly add up in price.

Yet another consideration is that with a can, you can't adjust the air pressure (or if you can, it's not very precise). I change the pressure on a regular basis, depending if I'm doing fine detail work, or general overall coating with a primer coat, or a single color rolling stock. Although most airbrushes allow you to adjust the air, I find it simply isn't accurate enough, and requires some trial and error to check if you have the correct air/paint flow for each particular project you are painting. A compressor will have a gauge that allows for exact air pressure. After some practice, you can see what air pressure you prefer for each style you are painting, and can change it in a matter of seconds, without the trial and error method.

Here's the thing, are you planning on doing a lot more painting in the future? If so, i recommend biting the bullet, and purchasing a decent airbrush and a compressor first.

My compressor is a Campbell/Housfield 3gal. It was $90 at my local Home Depot hardware store. Well worth the purchase. My airbrush is an Iwata eclipse dual action, which was about $125. It might seem like a large investment, but was well worth it to me, since I cant stop buying used loco's at train shows or ebay. I get a lot of enjoyment out of stripping and repainting loco's.
jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 23:47   #4
mysterd429

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Painting seems like any endeavor; you spend more than you wanted to buying the cheap stuff anyway, so you might as well buy the good stuff.

I'm only painting stuff like this for now, which seems pretty simple, so I don't think I need the good stuff.

I'll poke around on eBay and see if I can get any deals, but if not, I'll just the the canned air kit for a first attempt. Unless I can find someone with an airbrush and mooch.
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 01:00   #5
jafo

LOL, it's funny you should mention mooching, because that's EXACTLY what I did I borrowed an airbrush from my buddy, and found quickly that I really enjoyed it. I decided I couldnt keep his forever, so off to the hobby store I went LOL.

Judging from your other thread about building the flat cars, you don't mess around! If you are capable of that excellent work, I definitely recommend a quality airbrush and a compressor. There is definitely a difference in the painting quality of an inferior airbrush and canned air.

From personal experience, I can tell you that an inferior airbrush wont give you the quality you are going to be looking for. The results arent bad, but nothing spectacular either. I tried a couple cheap ones (borrowed), and then one above average quality one (also borrowed). I had already done 5 or 6 loco's with the cheap airbrush, and I though the results weren't bad at all. I then tried the above average quality one. The end result..... I ended up stripping and repainting my loco's. The difference in quality was quite noticable.

Just my opinion of course
jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 02:09   #6
Smokestack Lightning

I found canned air loses pressure quickly. I also found it difficult to regulate as the pressure is continually dropping. A compressor is the only way to go.
Smokestack Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote