All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th October 2010, 20:12   #1
ray46

Default Grass

I found this photo of the Airthrey Park Layout on the British RMweb (I tried to register with them but was unsuccessful, so I'm asking the questions here).

What interests me is the grass material. I haven't seen it on U.S. layouts, only ground foam or sawdust or static grass. It appears to be a hemp material so I tried to duplicate it by snipping twine with sissors.

It looks close but using my method it would take forever to make a small bag. So my questions are:

Is it a commercially available material? If so, from where?

If it is hand made, what is it made from and how was it cut?

How is it attached to the base scenery?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ray
ray46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 21:03   #2
LoudMusic

Default Re: Grass

You might want to try a Google search for "static grass". The results are even better than what you're looking at in that photo. The grass actually stands up, rather than be a matted mess. I've not gone through the process myself, but LOTS of people are and improving the technique constantly. I believe it can be done fairly inexpensively these days as well.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 21:48   #3
RW James

I think it may be a hybrid of static grass and something like the hemp you are trying. You could put down the static grass in the normal fashion - then glue down clumps of hemp grass here and there.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 23:09   #4
LoudMusic

Oh my gosh I didn't even see that bit of text between pictures. My apologies
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 03:57   #5
ray46

Thanks for the answers. I know static grass looks great but I've been cautioned that it can be dangerous for people with heart disease to use a device that produces static electricity, that's why I was interested; also because it is something that is a little different. I've purchased some fake fur to try and also an item called a Pot Topper. It's interesting to experiment.

Ray
ray46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 05:09   #6
RW James

You don't have to use those fancy grass-masters - or whatever they're called. I've used just plain plastic dispensers and they work just fine and don't produce any more electricity than the carpet in your house.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:10   #7
derfberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray46 View Post
Thanks for the answers. I know static grass looks great but I've been cautioned that it can be dangerous for people with heart disease to use a device that produces static electricity, that's why I was interested; also because it is something that is a little different. I've purchased some fake fur to try and also an item called a Pot Topper. It's interesting to experiment.

Ray
no more current than a flash light

completely harmless
derfberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 18:29   #8
B&O Glennwood

I have seen textures that look like what you are after using fake fur from fabric stores and craft shops you glue it fur side down then use a knife to remove the backing then trim it until you like it HOPE THIS IS OF SOME USE
B&O Glennwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:21   #9
slateworks

Ray - one of the products popular in the UK is hanging flower basket liner, usually made from coir or co-co fibre. It comes in a variety of colours from light tan through to dark green and it's cheap. It can be "teased out" into thin layers or shredded (a bit like your hemp experiment) and will take acrylic paint well if you don't like it's natural colour. You can lay it as a "carpet" or scatter it like other ground cover. As a "carpet", it would look something like the layout photo you refer to.
Doug
slateworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:51   #10
derfberger

. I've purchased some fake fur to try
Ray[/QUOTE]

like wise with little success. I followed David Frary's instructions in his book.

I ended up with green fur
derfberger is offline   Reply With Quote