All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2014, 17:49   #311
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Italy View Post
Now we want the smell of salted water!
Ah! yes - that is coming up too! Just need a little bit of time.
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:47   #312
kaustav

Some recent progress after a long time - http://wrightsvilleport.blogspot.in/
Old 1st February 2016, 19:34   #313
kaustav

Not sure how active people are here anymore, but I can't stop coming back to this forum from time to time - old habits!

Made some decent progress since my last update nearly a year back, and there are some nice photos and videos available. Here is the blog post: http://wrightsville.trainsanddiorama...ew-camera.html

Enjoy!
Kaustav
Old 12th February 2016, 16:29   #314
JohnM

Great pics ,Kaustav. Lovely work. You've come a long way.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 20:33   #315
Made in Italy

Very nice video, congratulations!
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 06:19   #316
kaustav

Glad to see that people are still visiting the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Great pics ,Kaustav. Lovely work. You've come a long way.
Thank you John - the following post will definitely trigger your interest as I am back to the oil pier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Italy View Post
Very nice video, congratulations!
Thank you!
Old 20th September 2016, 06:32   #317
kaustav

Well, it definitely seems like the old days again! Fortunately I have more time for making models, and also upgraded my arsenal with some very important tools that were long overdue - a Dremel rotary tool and an airbrush are the top two recent acquisitions.

So when I started working on the oil pier, the focus was more on using the tolls as well as building the model! Hence there is not going to be a step by step construction post for this one because we simply didn't have the patience to take photos after every step - we were two excited to build it and then take it straight to the paint booth... I mean the cardboard carton that acted as the paint booth!

First, here is the in progress photo of the facilities of the oil pier. Given how small this pier is - there is basically nothing much in terms of operations. Small ships/barges unload oil that is stored in the 4 relatively small oil storage tanks. Then the the tanker cars are loaded and the oil is shipped to the local businesses. The oil storage tanks and the ships were built long ago, so I started with the tanker car loading platform and the small pump-house-cum-control room.

The material of choice however has changed considerably - except the base which is cardboard, everything else is either styrene or plastic. As per my trademark 'scrap-building', I have used some leftover parts from the ME trestle kit, as well as the sprue of the same kit used to make the piping.

My initial thought was to simply model a couple of hose pipes connected to the ship to simulate unloading, much like below.

However, when I started finding some prototype photos, I found that this is not really how the oil unloading happens - not even in the smallest of the ports. What they use is something like this, called the loading arms.

So I found a few drawings online, and decided on this one - simple enough for my tiny oil pier, but keeps is real and prototypical.

The material I used for the piping is also something very new to me - aluminium tubes. Though I have used them before, I have just cut them in straight sections. Given I did not have the L pipe joints in N scale, I had to use my new Dremel rotary tool to cut, bend and shape the pipes - sorry, no progress photos from here onward since we were building and discovering quite a few things at the same time, we didn't really think of taking progress shots.

So here is the final result - all weathered to match the tone of the rest of the layout - the only thing pending now is completing the mooring on the ship, and then this section of the layout is done.

Old 21st September 2016, 18:20   #318
JohnM

Wow.
You continue to amaze, Kaustav. In N scale from scraps, I'm still shaking my head!!
You're first try used to be done, but those hoses were soo heavy they were supported in the middle from a small crane. Also they were incapable of being bent at the ends. Metal elbows would have had to been used. The hoses were flanged on the ends.

Cheers

John
Old 27th September 2016, 15:10   #319
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Wow.
You continue to amaze, Kaustav. In N scale from scraps, I'm still shaking my head!!
You're first try used to be done, but those hoses were soo heavy they were supported in the middle from a small crane. Also they were incapable of being bent at the ends. Metal elbows would have had to been used. The hoses were flanged on the ends.

Cheers

John
Thanks John! Well, since I already have quite a few cranes on the layout, I think the loading arm adds more interest. Here is a latest picture of the loading arm with some more details added, basically to simulate flanges and valves.

I also added some mooring to the ship - it does look unusual, but considering the unique shape of the port and small space available, I think this works.

By the way, I still remember you telling me about using life rafts to use as separators to maintain the distance between the tanker and the dock wall, however I did not find any photo to take any reference from despite a thorough Google search. Can you please refresh my memory as to how it is generally done?

As always, thank you for all your input and guidance - this particular project would have never come to this without your enormous help.

Take care
Kaustav
Old 5th October 2016, 05:29   #320
JohnM

Hi Kaustav.
Sorry I didn't get back right away. We went to Quebec City for a bit.
Anyway, the rafts aren't life rafts. (I'm sure you were scratching your head), but a pontoon raft.
Picture a floating rectangle made of steel, with a couple of tank lids to enter it ,in case of damage or repair. Put a bollard in each corner with some cleats to hang 4 x 4's off along the sides. Paint it an ugly scabby black , floating about 18" ish above the water. As it rises and falls with the tide there is usually a good weed line. Build it wide enough to hold the ship off the wall.

I agree with you about the need for extra mooring lines, but I'm unconvinced of these. Three lines each end, two leading away from the ship and one leading in to the middle is the ticket

As the ship isn't parallel to the wall maybe it could be just arriving, but that's enough ideas for now, eh.

Cheers

John