All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2012, 17:52   #221
kaustav

Yep! trying to bring to completion so that I can actually sit and enjoy this the layout for a few days, and possibly start with a new one! I am anyway making this for nearly two years now, so it's time to turn up the heat and get it over with!
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 23:02   #222
kaustav

Default Wrightsville Port Freight house

Here is a record time build - completed in 3 days. All that is left to do is painting and a little bit of detailing. This building is going to represent the main freight house of Wrightsville Port. For this one I am not going to bore everybody with all the step by step construction procedures. Just some shots and features:

Here is the top view of the building that shows it's unique shape. This building has four large shutter doors on the curved side of the building for the loading/unloading of the box cars as well as big trucks - there is a similar one for 1 box car on the other side. There is a large platform for loading/unloading of only vehicles as well.

The most challenging part in this building was definitely the lighting. I wanted to make sure that the lighting is as prototypical as possible. So I went for Circuitron's Micro lights - 1.5 mm bulbs as lamps outside the building and two white LEDs inside. The lamp fixtures are basically the tiny coffee stirrer straws and the round shades are thin card boards punched out using a punching machine. And just to scare you a little, here is the wiring below the building!

Now some photos:

Old 21st August 2012, 23:05   #223
kaustav

And some more photos:

Old 5th September 2012, 04:11   #224
kaustav

Default Pneumatic Grain Unloader

Here is something new that I have started with - a Pneumatic Grain Unloader. Not sure if anyone has built such a model before, especially in N scale. Even if someone has, I am not aware of it. Here is the detailed step by step construction details: http://wrightsvilleport.blogspot.in/...-unloader.html. Please note that given the complexity of the whole grain portal thing, this madness is here to stay for a while!

And here are some photos of the progress so far:

Old 5th September 2012, 21:38   #225
GWRman

That looks great Kaustav, I have never seen anything like this modelled before so congratulations on the job and I await the pics of the finished item.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 23:55   #226
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRman View Post
That looks great Kaustav, I have never seen anything like this modelled before so congratulations on the job and I await the pics of the finished item.

Doug.
Thanks Doug! I know it's a unique model but it is widely used in various sizes in many grain facilities across the globe, not just in ports. I was kind of surprised too the first time that a model of this equipment is not common - virtually doesn't exist! I think I should get this patented, eh? :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fueltanks.jpg (23.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 6th September 2012, 19:08   #227
Made in Italy

In effect I have never seen anything like that, I suppose it's basically a sort of big reversible vacuum cleaner, but how does it work? I can't understand it from its shape.
Thanks
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 01:28   #228
kaustav

Hey Franco - this might help explaining things a little better (though I am not sure!):

What you mentioned is right, it actually works on the same principal of a Vacuum cleaner, just a much, much bigger scale, with more complicated technology and with a minimum unloading capacity to be 100 tons/hour.

Pneumatic conveying is a widely spread method alongside mechanical conveying, especially in grain industry, and in use since early 1900s. Here I am modeling both - pneumatic conveying in the first leg, and then transform that to mechanical conveying (conveyor belt) which is more appropriate and goes well with the era and theme. Actually pneumatic conveying is much more efficient, involves less maintenance, costs much less and much safer to operate than mechanical conveyors.

Damn! I never used to be so geeky back in school... or college... what's wrong with me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00253.JPG (46.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00254.JPG (69.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00255.JPG (48.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00256.JPG (43.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00257.JPG (69.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 8th September 2012, 18:59   #229
Made in Italy

Thanks for the explanation, I was puzzled by the square structure which I didn't realized was a mechanical conveyor, or am I wrong?
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 11:16   #230
kaustav

well, I guess it will be more apparent when it is complete. though the top of the conveyor cover for this section will remain flat anyway, primarily to provide access to the chute from the unloader and it's moving casing (the small square) structure that allows unloading of grains even during rainy season without any risk of it getting wet.