All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2011, 19:05   #1
Blackcloud

Default Back to Gn15

It is some time since I last worked in Gn15, even longer since I built anything in the scale intended to run on track power instead of horizontal puppet strings (trains pulled by fishing line), but I have recently returned to the scale with a small diorama which will, hopefully, be used as part of a larger modular layout at some time in the future with other members of the Gnatterbox forum also making similar modules as part of the "APA Challenge".

This is the state of play at the moment. The module is built using an Ikea "APA" storage box as the frame. When sat on their sides these boxes are just under twice the area of a boxfile, and obviously a lot taller.

The track has been wired up and is partially ballasted with the filler used as 'topsoil', this holds it firmly in place until the scenic ballast and weeds are added.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:23   #2
SimonC
Mod Squad

Default Re: Back to Gn15

solid start Bob. Keep the pics coming!
Simon
SimonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:11   #3
Blackcloud

Some progress...

The scenery is now at the basic grass cover stage, I need to make the lineside fences before differentiating between the railway embankment and the field in the foreground though so further greening is on hold at the moment. The background has been painted but is deliberately vague so as not to detract from the 3D model.

To the right of the module is a small off stage area using a length of track attached to the top of my stock box, which is conveniently the same depth as that of the trackbed on the module. The fiddlebox is connected to the module using a standard four inch long link section but has not been wired up yet.

I have started working on the APA box lid, this will form what our friends on the other side of the pond would refer to as "visible staging", perhaps best described as a scenic fiddleyard for UK readers. This will be used mainly at home, enabling me to run trains through the APA module.

The scenic staging is called Warley Fen after the airfield in Bomber, Len Deighton's excellent wartime novel. I used the name of the town that got bombed in this book for a German N scale layout built about 12 years ago but only recently dismantled.

I still have the stock from Altgarten, but it is looking doubtful that I'll get round to building another N gauge layout because I much prefer modelling in larger scales these days.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:24   #4
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

It's certainly starting to take place! Keep the pics coming
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:23   #5
Blackcloud

The scenery is now approaching completion, which means that the interesting bit really starts because G scale allows LOTS of little details to be added.

The scenic break to the left of the module is a tree. The big advantage of having a proscenium arch is that only the bottom of the tree needs to be modelled, the rest of it being out of sight. The big disadvantage of modelling a tree in G scale is that you're not going to get away with clump foliage though.

I had tried using a dead miniature pine with tea leaves for the foliage, but this was still shedding leaves even after the glue had dried so it was abandoned in favour of using the foliage from an old Britains Farm Toy tree instead. This breaks up the outline of the hole in the backscene so it does the required job.

"Leaves on the line"... Not good, as we know from the outcries in the popular press every autumn.

The replacement seems to be an evergreen though, which is nice.

Also visible in the second picture:

A small bush will use the root ball from the dead tree as its armature. The tea leaf foliage will not be a problem here because it's far enough from the tracks and any sheddings will end up in the drainage ditch instead of on the line.

The point where the lane meets the backscene behind the level crossing is to be hidden by the cameo showing one man and his dog. The kneeling figure, as if putting the lead on the dog or just having a quiet word about not chasing trains, looks natural enough even though the figures are not from the same source (Tamiya 1:24 mechanic and cheap toy sheep dog).

The man with a bucket is just standing around hoping for a job, but I think he'll get used in the scenic fiddleyard section instead of the main module.
Old 10th September 2011, 03:42   #6
Blackcloud

The modules have had a test run (Video Link) a few days ago.

The odd line up of the sections is due to a sharp drop to a concrete floor beyond the end of Holmes Farm Junction, it being easier to insert a temporary stop block on the module than the stock box fiddleyard.

Since the test run I've been working on the scenery of the Warley Fen module.

The masonry and inset track is putty, I find this easier to work with than modelling clay (and it's cheaper too). It does take a lot longer to set but I see this as an advantage rather than a hinderance because it means I can take my time working on it.
Old 10th September 2011, 19:17   #7
Made in Italy

Very nice video, it seems everything ran very well!
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote